Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When trying to run Reports - Error - Unknown Error causing ACT to shutdown

When trying to run Reports - Error - Unknown Error causing ACT to shutdown

User is trying to run a standard report, but receives an Unknown Error causing ACT to shutdown. This happens with all reports.

User can enter data etc, everything else seems to be working.

Any idea's what might be the issue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: When trying to run Reports - Error - Unknown Error causing ACT to shutdown

Please give the steps until the error occurs.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am off site from this user, but I believe he is starting ACT, then choosing Reports, Selects a predefined report, and tries to run it.

The error happens at this time.

This sounds like a problem that I saw with ACT! 6 a number of times when I was in tech support. There was never a resolution of the problem short of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling. Typically just reinstalling ACT! 6 made no difference. Nor can I guarantee that reformatting the hard drive will resolve the problem. I suspect that it is a timing problem inherent in the design of ACT! 6, most likely aggravated by the vastly increased operating speed of today's computers compared to those when the underlying core of the ACT! 6 program was originally designed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy

Kind of figured it was going to be a problem issue. I think i will just do an upgrade for him to a newer version and transfer his data.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
I use ACT 6 and also have a brand new Dell Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 and have absolutely no issues running reports or anything else in ACT.  I think something just got corrupted and needs to be fixed.  Even if you want to upgrade, the new ACT Version will never be able to import your database if it's corrupted and you'll then be posting how to fix your database.  Then you'll be told you need to pay hundreds of dollars for a tech to fix it.
Message Edited by rlastar on 04-17-2010 11:33 AM

The particular problem being described isn't a database problem so upgrading shouldn't be a problem. My guess is that the real source of the problem is the registry which would be why only a few people experienced the problem. However the actual cause was never found. In part because by ACT! 6 the ACT! program code had become effectively unmaintainable.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129