Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What version and how to?

ah

What version and how to?

I have been using ACT 6.0.3 for a few years now.  I recently added a partner to my business and he works in a different city.  We would like to be able to share a common database, either in real time or via periodic synchronizations of two individual copies of ACT.  What is the best way to accomplish this and what version of ACT will we need to use (assume we have to upgrade?).

Neither of us is currently on an Internet connection with static IP addresses, though we possibly could add one so that we could use a server.  We're not keen on a hosted version of ACT for a number of reasons.

Thanks.

Also, do any of the newer versions of act allow you to add free-form keywords to a contact record? We played with FreeCRM.com and, though did not like that platform, did like the searchable keyword feature.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What version and how to?

While synchronization can be done if you are both using ACT! 6, the synch with the later versions is much better. You wouldn't need a static IP address, you could use a third party program called Hamachi to create a form of a virtual private network. I've set it up a few times and it work fine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
ah

Interesting - thanks for the pointer to Hamachi.  I assume if we get that working, we could synch either automatically or at the push of a 'synch' button - i.e. without having to create a remote database file that gets emailed/ftp'd around?

Also, I assume we both need to be using the same version of ACT, correct?

ah wrote: 

Also, I assume we both need to be using the same version of ACT, correct?

Yes. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

It is better to have a static IP for the server (Publisher database).

If you upgrade, you might look at http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

With the non-Premium versions of ACT! 2009, you only have Application sync.

As to "Keywords", you can either use Groups or do "Lookup | Keyword", which can search all the text in a record