Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

V6 Installation issue on XP

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

V6 Installation issue on XP

[ Edited ]

Had to reformat and reinstall my OS a few months ago.  Just getting around to installing Act but no go.  I can't seem to run the 6.0 or 6.03 setup.exe.  I've tried running the original disk and the downloaded 6.03 from the link mentioned above.  I've tried running on both XP Pro and XP Home.  On the XP Pro machine, I've tried running as Administrator.  In every case, I get the hourglass for a few seconds and then nothing.  When I run the CD on the XP Pro machine from autorun, the menu comes up but choosing the option doesn't seem to do anything at all.  I've had Act running on the XP Pro machine before without problems.  Any suggestions?

[edited subject to match topic]

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rab135
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: V6 Installation issue on XP

I'd suspect Norton ... ACT! 6.0 was a Symantec product and used their reg keys. Now that it's not, NAV blocks ACT! from properly installing - although, I thought it only stopped the links to Office

You might try uninstalling NAV (disabling it doesn't stop that block) or installing in Safe Mode as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1092...

View solution in original post

All Replies

After you try the install, look in the windows Event Viewer to see if there were any errors.

You might also try turning off any firewall and anti-virus during the install

I'm going to consider this a no go at this point.  I managed to get it operating on another workstation and our company is considering upgrading to a newer contact software.

Just in case there is some interest, here is some of the information regarding my failure to install on the other machines:

• OS = 32-bit XP Pro and XP Home
  • same reaction in both cases:  the hourglass icon shows for a few seconds after starting the installation and then nothing

• tried the original installation CD (6.0), as well as updated installation files from Mike (6.03)

• I’ve tried disabling Norton, all background programs, firewall, and disconnecting cable to the internet

• tried installing using the Control Panel’s Add Programs option (figured what the heck!)

• tried installing from the prepackaged exe as well as the setup.exe from the unpacked files

• checked event viewer after attempted installs but no activity there during the period of the attempts

Mike, thanks for your efforts.  Doing the research to attempt to resolve this, I saw your name pop up over and over again in various places.  I have been very impressed with how actively involved in problem-solving you are for those looking for help.  Thanks! 

Solution
Accepted by topic author rab135
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I'd suspect Norton ... ACT! 6.0 was a Symantec product and used their reg keys. Now that it's not, NAV blocks ACT! from properly installing - although, I thought it only stopped the links to Office

You might try uninstalling NAV (disabling it doesn't stop that block) or installing in Safe Mode as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1092...

I had forgot about that Norton Problem. ACT! 6 must have access to the Symantec registry keys because that's where ACT! 6 had it's keys and Norton blocks access to the keys except for installed Symantec programs. The Symantec programs have a means of opening the Symantec registry during install and then closing it after install. But ACT! 6 was no longer a Symantec program when Norton made that change. You actually have to uninstall Norton, restart the computer and then install ACT! 6 before installing Norton. ACT! then has an entry in the registry key that grants ACT! access to the Symantec registry keys.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Finally got back to try this again.  Before trying the uninstall NAV altogether solution, I tried disabling NAV and then restarting in safe mode.  Ensured NAV wasn't enabled and then tried reinstalling.  That seemed to have solved the problem.  Thanks, again, for all your help.