Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT ! since 2000, now have Windows 7 --HELP!

Using ACT ! since 2000, now have Windows 7 --HELP!

I decied to get a new lauptop. I purchased a DELL with Windows 7. I tried to install my ACT! 2000 disc to no avail. Now what do I do?

Roger Wasson

Springfield, MO

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Using ACT ! since 2000, now have Windows 7 --HELP!

If it's a 64-bit Windows 7, you'll need to upgrade. In any case, you are trying to run a program designed to run on Windows 98, that's four versions of Windows ago.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have a related problem.  We have ACT!2000 and have been very happy with it but now the entrie organization is going to Vista.  Can we migrate easily to the latest version of ACT?  Thanks
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Louis,

The latest release of Act! (2010 - V12) is fully Vista and Windows7 compatible.  Your Act! 2000 database can be converted in it's entirety to the new format. 

As reference, here are some informational links:

Act! 2010 system requirements

How to convert an Act! version 3 through 6 database to Act! 2010

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Running ACT! 2000 is iffy. Sometimes it will work, somtime not and in some cases it will work for a will and then quit. You need to upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Problem. We have ACT! 5.0 (2000).  We backed up the database.  Burned the resulting Zip file on to a CD.    ACT! 2010 is on a different machine.  We tried both restoring from the CD and we copied the CD into the ACT! folder.  When we try to restore we get”  “The file you are trying to restore does not contain an ACT! Backup.” I am using a 30 day trial version to make sure we can migrate before putting out the big bucks.Smiley Wink Any ideas? Thanks

That is correct, Act! 2010 will not restore a backup file created with Act! 2000 because of the differing database/backup structures.  To access and update your Act! 2000 database into the Act! 2010 program:

- copy the zip file from the disk to the local hard drive on the Windows7 computer

- extract the contents of the zip file (create a folder on your C drive called 'Act2000Db' and extract to that location)

- in Act! 2010 > go to Open Database > change the 'Files of Type' to DBF > browse to the folder the database was extracted into and select the DBF file.

- this will begin the conversion wizard

Here is a document that more in-depthly explains the conversion process: How to Convert Act 3-6 database to Act! 2010

Before converting your database, it is highly recommended that you run maintenance on your Act! 2000 database.  The instructions for this are included in the attached link.  You will then need to create a new backup of the database to restore.

Greg Martin
Sage

I'm almost there.

I get down to the stage of converting Notes and Histories and I get the message:

The INSERT conflicted with the FOREING KEY constraint « NOTE_MANAGER_ISERID_FK ».  The conflict occurred in database « CAEDT », table « dbo.TBL_ACCESSORID ». The statement has been terminated.

Any idea how to get around this?  Thanks 

This is most likely caused by orphaned records within your V5 database.  If you have not already run the database maintenance functions on the database, do so and then attempt to convert again (we recommend running the 'Scan and Repair' step 3 times).

Repair V5 or V6 database 

If you have done this and the database is still getting the error during conversion, you will need to import your database into a new database (in V5) so that it can attempt to correct the data.

Repair DB using Import/Export process

Greg Martin
Sage