Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT! 6.0 on 64-bit Windows 7 system

Using ACT! 6.0 on 64-bit Windows 7 system

[ Edited ]

I am happy to find that ACT! 6.0 works very well on my 64-bit system, using (64-bit version of) Windows 7. I'm running ACT! in the "XP Mode" (which is part of Windows 7), but be aware that not all versions of Windows 7 include XP Mode (I have "Professional", which is akin to Vista Business). Also, for whatever reason, Intel & AMD did not enable all processors / chips for this (XP Mode, aka "Virtualization") capability, so you'll need to verify this on your computer, as well. But it works quite well, if you want to run an older version of ACT! on a newer 64-bit PC.

( ACT! 6.0 would not install on 64-bit Vista system, & gave message that "ACT! is not compatible with 64-bit systems", or something to that effect ). 

Message Edited by jcoleman2 on 11-05-2009 02:41 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Using ACT! 6.0 on 64-bit Windows 7 system

I was able to load ACT 6.0 on my new windows 7 laptop.  BUT, for some reason, I can not get the email feature to work from within ACT 6.0.  I have several SMTP and POP3 settings and when I "test" it says connecting fine, but when I actually compose and try to send, it says POP3 server not available.  I was using an old Hotmail account for general email sending/receiving which I had to start with Internet Explorer.  My IT guy recently got my windows live mail account to work and actually merged my Hotmail account, which until now would not work on this machine for some reason.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?  settings problem?

thanks, mrtruss

The reason it is not working with your email is because you are using it in XP MODE! XP Mode is basically a Windows Virtual machine ran under your new OS (Windows 7) You will need to edit the settings for your XP mode to share the internet connection so it can use your webbased mail, or a small outlook account to send the messages. I hope this helps. I've installed a 7PC 1 Server set up with Act 6, and know all the workings. You can email me at jessethecomputerguy@msn.com if you need furthor assistance.