Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from ACT 2000 to ACT 2009

Upgrading from ACT 2000 to ACT 2009

I recently bought a new computer for my home office, and it came with Vista.  I have just discovered that this O/S does not support ACT 2000.  I tried to install the program via disc, but no luck.

I am considering upgrading to ACT 2009, but I wanted to confirm that I can backup/transfer all data via the backup feature from my work computer (which uses Windows XP) to my new home computer (using Vista).

Also, any benefit of ordering the new software by disc versus getting the online download?  I would like to then upgrade my work computer from ACT 2000 to the newer version.

Any insight would be welcome.  thanks.

Regards,

Dave

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrading from ACT 2000 to ACT 2009

Yes, all the data will convert.

Here are the steps: 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2294...

Make sure you apply the ACT! 2009 11.1 Hotfix 1 update first as per:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/act-by-sage-2009-111-hot-fix-1.html

No difference between CD and download... just keep a copy :-)

To have it on both systems (for one user) is ok. You might have it on both with synchronisation as per:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your input.  I have purchased the software online yesterday, and am hoping the support team can guide me through the conversion process on Monday.

One question for you, not sure if you know:  In my old version of ACT 2000, I could sync between office and home computer, with the exception of emails saved inside of each of my client contacts.  I could save and retrieve from the office system (original and main system), but when working from home, I could never access any emails that were saved through the sync process.  The email file would show up, but I could not access it.

I am wondering if this has been changed in more recent versions of ACT, particularly ACT!2009.

When you have a moment, please advise if you know anything about this.  Thanks again.

Regards,

Dave

For the conversion, make sure you have Hotfix1 (as previous) and follow the steps in the link I posted.

Attached files (like emails) can be stored with the database supplemental files and will sync. Or the content of the email can be added in full in the History and will be part of the database.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the upgrade, conversion, and value. How'd it all go for you, looks like a month since you were making the convesion.   I might have to do this or resort to working on 2 computers at the same time, old on xp and new on vista. 

Everything is all setup now, thanks to some help from ACT support, and other users on the forum.

The conversion worked fine.  All data was saved and is now on the ACT 2009 version both at home and at work.  Biggest hassle was defining fields and changing the view.  This caused problems due to my system dpi settings.  Once that was adjusted, everything works fine now.

Just recently setup sync (via Hamachi free VPN), and this is so sweet.  Publisher and subscriber databases are updated quickly via sync process, once I realized that both programs had to be open at the same time.

All good now.  Go for it...

Ha ha, just going back and seeing what I asked over a year ago. My conversion did not work so well. I upgraded to 2009. Have not been able to get it to work properly yet, and now I am getting advertising to buy Act 2011! Yeah, right. I am still unable to produce letters, use or make any templates, or operate any of the features. I use it for a contact manager, and thats about it. I can not even try and "update" as it does not recognize me as an administrator, which I am the only one set up to be. I have had two computer people try and get it operating over the last year, all to no avail. I have followed countless directions on how to fix it, run tests and scans. I've had it, I am going to look for a way to print off my contacts, buy something else, and pay someone to type them all in. Trying to get support from the company, other than on this open forum board is useless. Worst product upgrade I have ever experienced.

Let me guess - your operating system is Vista. You need to either dialable the UAC in Vista, have the ACT! program set to always rung as administrator in the UAC or start the ACT! program by right clicking on the icon and selecting Run as Administrator.

You have to love Microsoft, in Vista and Windows 7 an administrator isn't really an administrator if the UAC is enabled.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
SS

Have 2000 and new omputer MS7 said no good will come of this Kemo Sabe so need to upgrade.

All I do is have names and addresses on Old Act and transferring hundres by hand be quite difficult so is 2010 the only answer