Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from 6.x to 11.0

Upgrading from 6.x to 11.0

Hello,

I have a co-worker who has been using ACT! 6.x for awhile now and has many contacts and several custom made Word documents that use Mail Merge.  He is switching to a new computer which has ACT! 11.0 installed, we were able to get his contacts and documents moved over to the new computer (how, I’m not sure I wasn’t the one who did this) but now his mail merge doesn’t work with his custom documents.

I noticed that the custom documents he created has fields that look like this:

[[Contact:26]][[Company:25]][[Address 1:27]][[Address 2:28]][[Address 3:29]][[City:30]], [[State:31]]  [[Zip:32]]

[[Country:33]]

But the documents that ACT! 11.0 came with, it’s fields looks like this:

<Contact><Company><Business Line 1><Business Line 2><Business City>, <Business State> <Business Postal Code> 

I believe this is one of the reasons why the Mail Merge isn’t working, but I’m not to sure as I have never used ACT!.

When I explained this to my co-worker he said that its fine but what he really wants is the Mail Merge pop up menu to automatically appear when he tries to edit his old documents.  I know that this is more of a Microsoft Word problem (the new computer has Word 2003 v11.5604.5606) but I’m not sure how to get ACT! 11.0’s field list into Word’s Mail Merge.

I noticed on my co-worker’s old computer in ACT! 6.x if I go to Write at the top and click on Edit Template and choose one of his custom documents, Word will open and Mail Merge Field window will appear automatically.  Unfortunately on the new computer this does not happen.  I know that this is because I need to set it up but I’m not sure how.  I’ve spent most of yesterday trying to figure this out but I’m completely frustrated.  If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.

If anymore information is need please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor