Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from 6.03 to 2009

Upgrading from 6.03 to 2009

We are looking into upgrading from 6.03 to 2009 here are the current operinting parameters:

Server 2003

10 office based users

6 outside users

Outside users connect through WIndows Remote Desktop and access the main database.

We used to use syncronization but it got to be too cumbersom, so we installed ACT 6.0 on the remote server and it works fine.

We purchased 20 licenses in order to have enough for growth.

Main concern - is there any good reason to upgrade if 6.03 is working in the above config 

the questiosn we have

1. how difficult is the conversion - does all the info convert

2. we have been using the DB for 4 years and have over 5,000 contacts most have activity that must be preserved in the new DB, can all the activites be moved over to the new DB.

3. what is the difference between Std & premium versions.

4. Are there user limitations in STD (i.e. can only alimited number of users be in the DB at any given time)

is STD a multi user platform?

5. can i keep my 6.03 running on my local computer at the same time.

6. if we are going to install on the remote desktop server can i also install on my local computer

Thanks for any assistance

Jim

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrading from 6.03 to 2009

See replies below. 

ccpgottlieb wrote:

We are looking into upgrading from 6.03 to 2009 here are the current operating parameters:

Server 2003

10 office based users

6 outside users

Outside users connect through WIndows Remote Desktop and access the main database.

We used to use synchronization but it got to be too cumbersome, so we installed ACT 6.0 on the remote server and it works fine.

We purchased 20 licenses in order to have enough for growth.

Main concern - is there any good reason to upgrade if 6.03 is working in the above config 

Yes - ACT! 6 is limited to use on XP and with Office 2003.

the questions we have

1. how difficult is the conversion - does all the info convert

Generally not a problem if the database is clean. 

2. we have been using the DB for 4 years and have over 5,000 contacts most have activity that must be preserved in the new DB, can all the activites be moved over to the new DB.

Yes, however, excess cleared activities are a problem with both ACT! 6 and later and should be limited. 

3. what is the difference between Std & premium versions. 

4. Are there user limitations in STD (i.e.. can only limited number of users be in the DB at any given time)

is STD a multi user platform?

Standard is limited to 10 named users. Premium doesn't have a user limit.

5. can i keep my 6.03 running on my local computer at the same time.

Yes 

6. if we are going to install on the remote desktop server can i also install on my local computer

Yes, but you should consider synchronization (much better now) or ACT! for the WEB for the remote users.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Upgrading from 6.03 to 2009

Copper Contributor

6.03 outside users

I was reading about your upgrade, but my question is about your configuration with ACT 6.0

We have  SBS 2003   (8) XP SP3 users

I would like (3) outside users. I too tried Sync but  it was just OK

My  question is, did your outside users load ACT on their machines and then access the database off the server?

So can you explain your configuration to me for outside users.

In my office all my computers are networked together and the ACT database resides on the server.

Thanks

Steve

Re: 6.03 outside users

With ACT! 6.0, you could do sync (it could be an issue if not setup correctly) or terminal services
Copper Contributor

What I would like to do is, not load database on remote users. I would like that the remote users have ACt 6.0 loaded on remote users computers and access database from server. Is that possible?

Technically yes using Remote Desktop however the performance will be extremely slow because ACT! 6 directly manages the database. With the later versions of ACT! program the performance would be better but not great because the SQL server manages the database. I do have a client that uses a variation but they have a local desktop connected to the LAN they log into that has the ACT! program installed an they don't even have ACT! on the remote computer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129