Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade Reorders Contact Names

Tuned Listener

Upgrade Reorders Contact Names

I have used Act! since version 4 and subsequently purchased versions 2000 (v. 5), which I continue to use on a daily basis on my XP machine, 2005, 2007, 2010, and 2011.  Every time I tried the newer versions, however, I soon returned to Act! 2000 (v. 5) because of its simplicity of use, its combined Notes/History feature, and its reliability.  But now, with XP unsupported and my new Windows 7 Home computer unable to run Act! 2000, I have once again tried to upgrade to these later versions (on my XP machine) despite my dislike of the separation of Notes from History.

Every time I perform an upgrade, all works well except for this one error: in the "Contact Name Dialogue Box", the order of any Contact Name containing a Suffix becomes reordered in this manner: "Middle Name, Last Name with Suffix, First Name", instead of "First, Middle, Last".  This error makes searching for Contacts extremely difficult!

Prior to each upgrade from Act! 2000 (v. 5), I did all the pre-upgrade maintenance that many ACC's on this site have suggested, including running ACTDIAG and then upgrading to Act! 6 Trial Version and then to the later versions.  I also changed or added, in Preferences, the appropriate Suffixes, all to no avail.  I note, however, that in Act 2000, the Name Preference Dialogue Box allowed a user to include spaces when adding appropriate Suffixes, such as ", M.D." and ", Esquire", whereas the later versions do not permit the inclusion of a space in the "Add Suffix" step.  Could this be the source of my problem?

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.  Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrade Reorders Contact Names

Most certainly spaces in name prefixes or suffixes in the converted database would cause problems. The name prefixes and suffixes and the contact name parsing si done different in the later versions of the ACT! program. Some of the parsing assumptions done in ACT! 6 and before are not allowed in the later versions.  I've found that when you have a name prefix or suffix that requires a space, add two entries to the prefix or suffix table, one for each part of the prefix or suffix.

If you haven't found it already, here is a tip of lookups, point the cursor at any field and right click the mouse and select the lookup option from the context menu. Also there are 'Any' lookups available such as Acy Phone number that will search all the phone number fields.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: Upgrade Reorders Contact Names

Roy,

Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions on lookups.  I have, however, already tried adding every combination of name Suffix to Preferences, all to no avail.  I find that, without the ability to include a blank space in Preferences as was possible in earlier versions, I still face the same problem.

Best regards!