Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble converting 6.0.3 ACT database to ACT 2010

Trouble converting 6.0.3 ACT database to ACT 2010

When I attempt to convert my ACT 6.0 database to run on ACT 2010 I get a error message that says the database cannot open because one or more files are missing. Re-index the database and open the data base again. So I opened ACT 6.0 on my old machine running XP and I re-indexed through database maintenance. Still received the message, so then I ran ACTDIAG and scanned database integrity and all had green check marks. I can get as far as the conversion wizard but can't open the database. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vince Willits

Re: Trouble converting 6.0.3 ACT database to ACT 2010

Hi There,

I am having a similar issue.  I am trying to convert my dbase, and within a few moments of the conversion starting, I receive an error message saying:  ACT! by Sage has stopped working - A problem stopped the program from working correctly.  Windows closed the program and will notify you if a solution is available.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue is?

Thanks,

Grant

Platinum Elite Contributor

My response to both issues are that your ACT! 6 database has internal corruption that doesn't stop it from opening in ACT! 6 but is bad enough to halt a conversion to an SQL version. In all likelihood you will need to have the database repaired by a repair service such as the one we provide.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Why would I want to do that??  Why doesn't the internal maintenance/index utility fix any issues??  I will contact Sage and have them deal with it.

Thanks,

Grant

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sage no longer does database repair on ACT! 6 databases
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

You could try in Act 2000 - creating a new database, and then importing all the records from the old database.

Then try converting to Act 2010 using the new database.  

If the corruption is in the database files or structure (as opposed to corrupt field data), this MIGHT just work...

Luis 

Hi Vince,

What finally worked for me was to create a new dbase in ACT 6 and import my old dbase into the new one.  Then run the Actdiag on the new dbase and it should be all green check marks.  Then try to convert this dbase to ACT 2010.  You should find that it works fine.  It is a corrupt file/disk sector with the original ACT 6 dbase.  Good Luck!

Regards,

Grant Waldman

West Coast Solutions, Inc.

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Where can I find the "Actdiag" program to check newly created database for errors?

grantwestcoast wrote:

Hi Vince,

What finally worked for me was to create a new dbase in ACT 6 and import my old dbase into the new one.  Then run the Actdiag on the new dbase and it should be all green check marks.  Then try to convert this dbase to ACT 2010.  You should find that it works fine.  It is a corrupt file/disk sector with the original ACT 6 dbase.  Good Luck!

Regards,

Grant Waldman

West Coast Solutions, Inc.

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

I located the Actdiag program but the new ACT 6 database that I created is not listed in the "database list" when I try to use Actdiag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would search for the database name on your drive.