Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble Moving from 6.0 to 2010

Astute Commentator

Trouble Moving from 6.0 to 2010

Hi All,

We are a small business with 4 remote ACT 6.0 users.   We are one of the many who suffered (to the tune of 10K in fixits, repairs, and consultations) from the 2005 upgrade, and still have issues with data that we had input prior to that time.  We are frankly scared to death to upgrade, but can't find another product with the features we enjoy in ACT, so are considering another upgrade.   The thought of potentially going through the corrupted records, nonapplication of notes, slow processing speed (that appears fixed on the trail we have done) and random data scramble that we encountered last time makes us extremely reluctant, but time is marching on and we see no choice. 

I would love to hear from other users who have made the switch - how did it go?  Did all your notes transfer?   We have a lot of custom fields designed - did you have to redesign those in the new ACT or do they "roll over?" What was the actual time it took you to make the transfer and was it smooth or rocky?

I see one or two users who had issues and one that said it was a nightmare, but I would like to hear from more.    Can anyone help?

Re: Trouble Moving from 6.0 to 2010

I wish I could share better news with you. I downloaded the demo version of 2010 and merged my data from v.6 over and it lost all the notes, retained none of the custom templates and scrambled data in some records to the point that they were non-usable. I have heard through other people that you can contract with ACT at like $1/record to have them merge your data over. In our case we have 3,000 records so you do the math.

I liked the new version....But not that much!

Astute Commentator

That is pretty much exactly what happened when we did 2005.   They said they could run side by side, adn they didn't - just scrambled each other. 

It was horrible.  

I am thinking that this time, I might install 2010 on my laptop, make a copy of the data and install on my laptop, and then work from my laptop for at least a month before changing my desktop. 

Did you end up going back to 6.0?   Or did you eventually fix it?   We do have a great ACT consutant who will help us, but like you said it is expensive if it doesn't work the way that it is advertised. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

First off, I am an ACT! Certified Consultant rather than strictly a user. However, I do use ACT!, both the premium and the web version on a daily basis.

There isn't any doubt that ACT! 2005 had problems though on balance it had less problems that the original ACT! 3 which was the precursor to ACT! 6. Most of the functional problems were resolved by ACT! 2006 and performance has generally improved with each version since. Most of the performance problems with ACT! 2005 came from low spec hardware and the early versions of MSSQL and the .NET framework. Since then microsoft has released upgraded versions of MSSQL and the .NET framework and ACT! 2007 and later uses those. They help improve performance and are much more stable than the earlier versions.

In my experience from numerous ACT! 2005 and later installations and database conversions, most ACT! 6 databases convert without any problems. When there are conversion problems the cause is corruption in the ACT! 6 database. I've been amazed at the level of corruption that can be present in an ACT! 6 database and have it still work reasonably well. There are simple clean up procedures such as importing the ACT! 6 database into an empty copy that will clean up the database if the corruption isn't too bad. If you need it, ACT! 6 database repair is available from severl of the ACCs. While not cheap it should not break the bank it needed. A side point, if database repair is required for conversion then it needs to be done to protect your database from data loss. Layouts, templates and reports don't automatically convert but the ACT! program includes conversion tools.

I hope this information helps with your decistion. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The only reason the convert won't work is if the ACT! 6.0 database has some corruption in it.

While corruption in ACT! 6.0 database is not uncommon (even if it seems to work fine), fortunately it's usually not that complex to repair.

Most good ACCs can do this for you... I personally recommend Kim at http://www.techbenders.com/ - she will give you a set price before starting and return the database already converted to ACT! 2010 for you.

Astute Commentator

Thank you!  You know what they say about once burned - twice shy.....I appreciate your feedback.  

Prior to ACT! 2008 (10.03) , there were some issues that especially problematic to ACT! 6.0(or earlier) users who upgraded... and most serious to users who had older hardware that was only just capable of driving the older versions.

But like when Windows XP replaced 9x, the combination of fixes from the vendor and users upgrading their systems over a couple of years rendered the problems to history, from ACT! 2009 onwards the issues that were reported with earlier versions have pretty much gone.

Also, to correct your earlier post 6.0 and any later version can run side-by-side... but only one can connect to Outlook.

We did go back to 6.0. It crashes periodically because we are running vista on windows server 7. Other than that it works great. It's just too bad that the data migration capability is so bad otherwise I would upgrade in a heartbeat. Could be a real issue though later when windows 7 comes out and v.6 might no longer be compatible. We'll see.

worldenv wrote:
We did go back to 6.0. It crashes periodically because we are running vista on windows server 7. Other than that it works great. It's just too bad that the data migration capability is so bad otherwise I would upgrade in a heartbeat. Could be a real issue though later when windows 7 comes out and v.6 might no longer be compatible. We'll see.

ACT! 6.0 has odd issues with Vista/Win7... but major with 64-bit or Office 2007

If the data migration fails, you most likely have some damage in the database and should really get it repaired. ACT! 6 could have damage that didn't show till you tried to read the part of the data (usually with sync, export or conversion).... but it can continue to get worse and by the time you notice it in normal operation you migh have so much damage you can't recover all the data

When I installed the demo I followed the instructions to a "T" including doing a database repair before importing into new version.

I'm a pretty bright guy and I found the interface rather tedious at best with far too many questions on how to merge data, what format, etc., etc., etc.

I don't believe any of my issues were corruption related.

We use several custom layouts and again I found the conversion tool far too tedious to use. I would think that most of these issues should have been addressed in the beta stage so that an average intelligence user would just merely have to select the merged file and answer a few simple merging questions and it's done.

Requiring any buyer to have to solicit the support of an ACC to make a program work like it's previous version is not only unacceptable but is insensitive of the end user who may be a real fan of a previous version of the product (like me!).

In the end I may have no choice but to upgrade. You can pass on to SAGE that the first product that comes along that can take all my ACT data and merge into their software with minimal effort could and would be my next purchase choice and that's unfortunate.