Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

System locking up.not sure where to start...help if you can, pls.

Tuned Listener

System locking up.not sure where to start...help if you can, pls.

Winxp sp3

act 6

celeron 2.0

512 ram

Act 6 has always run fine. Today, as I was trying to modify, rename, delete fields to please the higher ups, my system froze several times.

Seems only to freeze when ACT is running.  

Strange things happening too, like the inability to rename user fields...(could rename user 14 and 15, but not 8 and 9)

Is there a way to check for a corrupt database?

If I open the database on another computer and it performs fine, what to check then? Possibly uninstall and re-install the program? 

Per the subject line, pls help if you can, I have no idea where this unpleasant development came from, but after my 6th or 7th restart in an hour and a half,

I was ready to put a hole in the office wall.

Of course, I could resign myself to use a spreadsheet for a CRM tool as the company wants me to, but I'd just as soon take a beating as do that. 

Thanks list.... appreciate your input/suggestions. I need to sell this at my sales meeting next week. 

Copper Super Contributor

Re: System locking up.not sure where to start...help if you can, pls.

You asked if there was a way to check the database for corruption...

Look for ACTDIAG.EXE in the same folder where the Act program was installed. 

I would backup your files (always a great idea!) and then run ACTDIAG, which does some diagnotics and repairs.

Luis Rodrigues

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: System locking up.not sure where to start...help if you can, pls.

To check for corrupt database, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1146...

If running on a network, make sure you've disabled Opportunistic Record Locking as per -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1067...

If it performs fine on another PC, then it might not be ACT!.... you could try an uninstall/reinstall

When it freezes, is it the entire PC or just ACT!?

Are there any errors in the windows Event Log - Start | Eventvwr?