Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing ACT & Outlook

Tuned Listener

Synchronizing ACT & Outlook

We use ACT 6 with a server-based database and Outlook 2002 & 2003 without Exchange Server in our office.  We want to enter all activities only in ACT (not Outlook) but have them show in everyone's Outlook calendar (as well as ACT's calendar).  We know we have to do the Tools | Outlook Activities | Update in ACT to make this work.  However, this is what is happening: Person A enters a meeting into their ACT for just themselves--it is a Public activity, not Private.  They do an Outlook update as previously described.  Person B also does an Outlook update in ACT.  However, this activity only shows up on A's Outlook calendar, although it is on everyone's ACT calendar.  The activity does not appear on Person B's Outlook calendar.  Please tell me there is something simple we are missing vs. this being an issue with ACT6 that requires an upgrade to a new version of ACT.  I was always under the impression that any version of ACT worked well with Outlook.  Thanks.
Tuned Listener

Re: Synchronizing ACT & Outlook

I have some more information to add to my previous posting. Using my example, if Person A schedules an activity & includes Person B as a contact, now when both people do an ACT/Outlook update, the activity will show on both of their Outlook calendars (but of course, not in Person C's or D's Outlook calendar). In other words, Outlook will only update its calendar for Person B if Person B is included as a contact in the activity scheduled by Person A. If Person A does not include Person B, then the activity will not show up in Person B's Outlook calendars after an update.

Our hope is to have everyone using Outlook calendars see the schedule of everyone in the office to make it more efficient to plan meetings or business trips or vacations using ACT v6 as the common database. However, if we are forced to add everyone to the list of contacts each time someone schedules an activity, most people are going to have an activity scheduled for them not they are not participating in--it's only there so it shows up in Outlook calendar.

Can someone please let us know if we are missing something. Or is this a bug using ACT 6 with Outlook 2002 or 2003? Or is it because we are using Outlook without a server?

Re: Synchronizing ACT & Outlook

Did you ever get an answer for this?  This is exactly our problem also, when we update it only updates the Personal calendar in Outlook. 

I found this problem out when we first started using ACT! and wanted to copy our Outlook Public calendar into ACT!  It couldn't be done, I had to make a copy of the Public Outlook calendar and move it to my personal calendar and then do the update activity feature in ACT!  It worked beautifully on my machine and looked great. 

I went to another workers ACT! and it looked dreadful.  The ACT! calendar was full of just my name everywhere as the one associated with the appointment and you couldn't see who the contact was unless you clicked on the appointment.  It was very busy looking and noone in my firm is not going to like this.

Hope you have some suggestions.