Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Split act 6 database by date?

Split act 6 database by date?

Hello!

We have an act 6 installation that has been running for many years now. As you can imagine, 20 something users over several years with many contacts equals a huge act installation and painful slowness.

What I would like to do is remove all data - archived emails, notes, history etc. - that is older than 2 years and place it in a secondary database. That way if legacy data is required users can still access it by logging into the archival database, but day to day performance should get a boost.

Is this possible? I'm a big fan of simplicity, so if there's an addon I can use to do the job that would do nicely. I have been considering cloning the current database using backup and restore, and then purging everything older than 2 years on the operational copy. Would that also remove some of the many gigabytes of archived email?

Many thanks in advance!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Split act 6 database by date?

How many contacts are in your database?

With ACT! 6 the main issues with speed were large numbers of cleared activities still in the database. As they are in the history, there's usually no need to keep them in the activity table.

You can (after you backup, of course) use ACTDIAG to remove cleared activities older than 1 month.

This will often speed up your system quite a bit

Cheers for the advice mate! I did a full scan, repair, reindex and recompress last night to make sure everything was in tip top shape today. Emails are taking a very long time to attach, although searching through records seems a bit faster. There are roughly 4,000 contacts and about 50Gb of emails plus attachments so there is a fair bit of data to worry about. I'll confirm with the users to make sure I can safely remove cleared activities and give it a shot.

No worries...  4K contacts really shouldn't be an issue for ACT! (any version)

It's more likely the 7 years of history and so on slowing things down Smiley Happy

I have 20 years of history.

Even in poor old ACT! 6, history wasn't that big an issue except for certain functions.

Volumes of Activities and some Groups issues were the big performance issues

We only have 3 Users sharing a sync'ed ACT 2008 database.  There are about 3,000 contacts.  The issue appears to be that when we merged the 3 seperate ACT databases into 1 "master" database, 1 of the Users had an extensive database of notes/histories and activities.  It took over 2 hours to sync this Users database into the "master".

All 3 users computers are current spec Core 2 Duo's all >2.0GHz w/ 2+GB of RAM running WinXP SP3.

However, now that we have merged in this Users 133120kb database with its extensive notes/histories/activities ACT is running very, very slowly.

I have looked all through the Knowledge base to try and find a way to go in and identify and hopefully archive some of this past information to speed up ACT's performance, but I haven't been able to find any documentation.

Can you recommend an FAQ or KB article on how to archive past ACT database information?

For future reference, you should post new questions as a new post... especially as this is for a different version to the thread.

The most important thing for ACT! speed are Hard Drive speed (in RPM) this should be 7400rpm or better for good performance.

Also, if the user with the database on their machine is running a lot of apps, this will impact the performance. If the machines are similar, put the database on the machine of the user who does the least

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?  If 10.0.0 or 10.0.1, upgrade to 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 - the 10.0.2 update is a bit better with resources.

Have you tried Tools | Maintenance | Check and Repair?

Make sure you have a good backup before removing any data.

Failing that, try these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1660...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1416...

Sorry about not posting this as a new message.  I'm not very familar with "forums".

There is a hard drive hardware difference for the Users, 2 have desktops (7200 rpm hd's) and 1 has a laptop (5400 rpm hd).

All are running version 10.0.1.199.  I will try using Help, Update to see if we can get them all to v 10.0.2 or better.

I think the greatest benefit is going to come from the link you provided on database Maintenance, Remove Old Data.  Clearly the 1 Users notes, histories and activities are bogging the performance.

Thanks for the help, hopefully it will do the trick!

Help | Update won't find the update. As all users need to be on the same, they don't want one user in a network to apply it until all users can.

You can download the current patches from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm?