Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

[ Edited ]

Hi

I'm new to forum & posting, so hope have done it properly - if not, am sure someone will tell me!!  I found forum when I googled Act slow - I find that when I go from record to record, it sometimes is very slow (sometimes fast!!).  Sometimes the history of the previous record stays visible for extra time, after the details have moved to the new record.

I only have 1053 records, a database only 3.73MB.  Intel Pentium 4, 2.6GHz, and 512MB of RAM.

BUT .....

My Act is still an Act 6 - which according to everyone here should be zipping along at great speed. 

Any ideas??

Thanks

Message Edited by dlunceford on 03-19-2009 01:34 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author amber
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

It's having the Notes/History tab open that's causing the problem because you have a large volume of histories in your database. ACT! 6 performance is effected by the total number of records in the database, not just the number of contact records and each note and history is a separate record. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author amber
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

It's having the Notes/History tab open that's causing the problem because you have a large volume of histories in your database. ACT! 6 performance is effected by the total number of records in the database, not just the number of contact records and each note and history is a separate record. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Make sure you don't filter the history tab... Check on all Types, All Dates and All users.

ACT! 6.0 would load the history, then filter out when it didn't need. See this ACT! Knowledge Base article - 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1026...

Also make sure "Email Address" is not on the Contact List as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1157...

Finally see these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1287...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1063...

thank you to you both for your suggestions.  I've stopped nortons scanning act, and done some other tweaking per guidelines.  The thing which made the real difference is trying not to have the history page open - it's  a real nuisance, though, as that's the most important screen!

Re: ACT 6.0 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

If the ACT! 6.0 History Tab causes it to be slow, it's usually one of these:

1. You have a filter applied - make sure all dates/users/types

2.  You have attached files that are no-longer there and it's looking for the icons - you can validate attachments with Oak!Check!

3. You just have a LOT of history and either a slow LAN or not enough RAM to support it all