04-22-2009 07:28 PM - edited 04-22-2009 07:31 PM
I have three users who use a shared database hosted on a Windows server 2003. ACT is running on their PCs on Win XP Pro. They all have all the permissions I can give.
At least three times per day two of them will experience a total freeze of ACT. In Task Manager is says that ACT is running, the process itself uses 2% CPU power and the memory usage stays at about 20MB.
It is Version 6.03 that worked well when only two users were using the database. When the third was added about a month ago, things started to act up and I have three very unhappy users on the network.
All three notice that the freeze happens when updating notes, or when going to the Mail Merge option. The rest of the time and the input process it seems to be working well.
The only way to get out of this mess is to kill the process which AT TIMES messes up the database and it has to be rebuilt etc. It always shows lost links in the notes.
PLEASE, where else can I look?
04-22-2009 10:27 PM
04-24-2009 10:37 PM
No, I haven't found a solution, BUT, I may found the cause.
ACT 6.x and the latest updates of .Net security patches and Windows are not good friends. I'm writing this because another software which we run (for 44 users) started to show instability suddenly on the SAME machines that ACT is running on.
One of the advisors of the other software suggested a complete un-install of that software (Calyx Point 7.0 - for the Mortgage idustry, if you're interested) removing .Net and removing all security features then re-installing .Net and the software. It seems like we were not the only people with that strange complaint.
I will take that step on Sunday, when no one is in the office and may be able to report back on Monday.
04-25-2009 03:59 AM
ACT! 6.0 didn't use .Net and shouldn't be affected by it.
I would first disable Opportunistic Record Locking on server and clients as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
You may need to update your ACTDIAG as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
You should also use ACTDIAG to do a repair of your database.
For email merges, you might have a look at using MergeMaster!
05-02-2009 09:00 AM
The software freezes 3-5 times a day, curropts the database and requires the diag software to rebuild the databse. Yes, we have the latest diag application.
Can anyone come up with other options for me to try?
I was asked to install version 10 in order to remedy the freezes. I hope it will work well.
05-03-2009 12:24 AM
05-06-2009 08:14 PM
Well, this is insane, but I solved the problem going the hardware path. I already knew that the software is working fine by itself and with shared databse from the Server. The only thing I didn't try is to check how the computer is connected to the Server (to the shared database).
I replaced the CAT5e cable from the cubicle to the Server room (about 30 feet) with a brand new cable that I crimped just for that. It is four days span that not even one problem was reported by any of the three users....
I don't know what to say. This weekend I will upgrade to version 10.