Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SDK for version 6

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

SDK for version 6

Does anyone know where I can download the SDK for version 6?  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Weste
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SDK for version 6

If you've never worked with the SDK before, you would first need to read and understand the part about the database structure. The SDk a set of Word documents with some example program snipits to show syntax. Years ago I took a one day class at Symantec on the SDK and by the end of the day I could write a simple little data entry dialog. One of the main things was there was a lot of methodlogy that wasn't real obvious. We were working in Visual Basic and the examples in the SDk are generally Visual Basic or C++. If you were very familiar with either language and had worked with the SDK before get a Q&D exporter working in a couple of days. Without experience with the ACT! SDK and no one to answer questions, I have no idea how long it would take. 

Finally, with the third party exporter, you know you will get all your data properly exported. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

I do have a copy fo the ACT! 5 SDK. The ACT! 6 version included every thing from the ACT! 5 version with a limited number of new items.

I do question why you would be doing custom programming for what amount to a dead product version especially because any custom programming wouln't work on the later version of the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I need to export the notes history.  It is my understanding that the only way to export this data is by using the SDK or purchasing a 3rd party solution.  Is this correct?  Thanks.

That's correct. However I assume that you want to keep the notes and history linked to the contact rather than a simple dump of the notes and history. That means that you will be building an exporter. Unless you place a vry low value on your time you would be better off purchasing a third party exporter. Here's a link to the best I know of.

http://www.jltechnical.com/exporter.htm

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Thanks for the info.  I will need to see if my manager will approve the purchase of the exporter software.  Definitely sounds like the best solution.  Do you have an estimate as to how long it would take the average developer to build an exporter?  This will help me present the options to management.  Thanks again.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Weste
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

If you've never worked with the SDK before, you would first need to read and understand the part about the database structure. The SDk a set of Word documents with some example program snipits to show syntax. Years ago I took a one day class at Symantec on the SDK and by the end of the day I could write a simple little data entry dialog. One of the main things was there was a lot of methodlogy that wasn't real obvious. We were working in Visual Basic and the examples in the SDk are generally Visual Basic or C++. If you were very familiar with either language and had worked with the SDK before get a Q&D exporter working in a couple of days. Without experience with the ACT! SDK and no one to answer questions, I have no idea how long it would take. 

Finally, with the third party exporter, you know you will get all your data properly exported. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have absolutely no experience with the  ACT!. SDK.  I develop in VB and C#.  I agree the best solution is the 3rd party software.  I will propose that to my manager.  Thank you very much for all of your great help.  I really appreciate it..