Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Retired & Don't Want To Update Any More, So...

Retired & Don't Want To Update Any More, So...

[ Edited ]

...how can I transfer my old ACT 2.0 database into something else--just in case I ever need access?

My program (since it is a REALLY OLD version!) doesn't open in Windows 7, so I want to export my 2.0 database to something (comma delimited seems to be my only choice) that I can then import into something else--maybe Outlook or Google Contacts.

The program is working fine on this Vista computer I'm on, so I have full access to its export functions.  I just need a step-by-step to exporting (I would want to export Notes also--my first experiment to a delimited txt file didn't seem to export the Notes) to a format that will be easy to import into something free (or that I already have).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I note that I have the disks for ACT! 2005, which I don't have installed because I didn't need it--but if that makes the process easier, it could be installed...

Jerry

Message Edited by jerrypettit on 06-08-2010 05:37 PM
Silver Contributor

Re: Retired & Don't Want To Update Any More, So...

I put ACT 2.0 away in 1994, but you can get your data foward. ACT 2005 won't do you any good.  You are going to have to upgrade in a 3 step process. 

Upgrde ACT 2.0 to ACT 5.0

Upgrade ACT 5.0 to ACT 6.0

Convert and upgrade ACT 6.0 to ACT v12 (Win 7 compatible.)

Notes won't export in that version.  Might be time to crack the piggy bank a little bit.  Jump on in, the water's fine.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

So my piggy bank will only get hit for the $149 upgrade to the most recent version (12?), right?

Are there free "trial versions" of 5.0 and 6.0 that I can download "on the way"?  You aren't asking me to break my piggy bank THREE times are you?  :-)

Would 5.0 or 6.0 get me to a stage where I can export everything--including Notes--to some kind of "generic" form for archiving elsewhere?  Being retired, I don't want to keep plunking down $150 per year to stay current with software that I was completely satisfied with in version 2.0 (until now) and that I won't even use any more.

Jerry

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with the steps to update your database to Act! V6 - it also contains a link to download the trial version of V6.  You should be able to skip the conversion to V5 before going to V6 - this can be affected by the condition of the database:

Convert V1 db to V6 

Note: This article is titled for Act! V1, but will work for V2 also.

You are correct, you would only be charged for the upgrade to Act! V12 (not V5 or V6).

I'm not aware of any option within V5 or V6 for exporting everything, including Notes, other community members may know of a way to do it. 

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks a lot.  I'll check this out, and it looks like I'll have to upgrade eventually to the most current version.  THAT one will apparently export the entire database--"Notes" and all?

Jerry

Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a function in the latest version of Act! to export Notes and Histories (can export all tables within the database).  It requires connecting to the database using an 'Ole DB 2' connection with an external reporting program such as Excel or Crystal reports. 

So, while the capability exists - it may not be exactly what you are expecting.  For example: using Excel, I can extract all of the History records - but they will not be associated with a contact record.  Using a more advanced reporting program you could combine/link tables, but that isn't something we would support setting up.

As Fyi I am providing this article which explains setting up the 'Ole DB' connection: Creating Ole DB 2 connection

Message Edited by gmartin on 06-09-2010 08:15 AM
Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

I have some tips on converting older versions here:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/tips-for-converting-act-60-or-earlier.html

Exporting Notes from ACT! 5/6 required an add-on such as itExport - http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/69/2

Exporting from ACT! 2010 can be done without an add-on if you have the technical skills.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/connecting-to-act-by-sage-data.html

Thanks!