Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Custom Layout

Restoring Custom Layout

Hi,

I'm using ACT 6 on XP with Office '07.  I recently had a HD crash and had to reinstall ACT.  I had regular data backups so no problem there however the reinstalled database is the 'original' rather than my custom layout thus does not contain all the info, in particular phone numbers!  I can find the custom layout .cly file but I'm not sure how to get it back into use within my database. 

I've searched for info on this but must not be using appropriate terms as I cannot find the required info.  Your help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Holly

Copper Contributor

Re: Restoring Custom Layout

Hi Holly,

I have used V6 for quuite some time(but I am no expert). As I remember, act automatically saves the "new" layout to the layout file. It does not change the name, so you have no idea what has happened. I started renaming the layout files(.cly & .gly) so I could keep track of layout changes. Unfortunately I do not think you are going to get your layout back since your HD crashed. Those files are gone. Don't worry though.. the data is still in the files. You could open your new database and create those special items in the Design Layouts. Once that is done, you can "add" the correct field to that box. SAVE that layout and do back to your main screen and your data should be back.

As a safety measure, find out where you layout files are being saved and copy it (.cly & .gly), rename it, store it off machine for future use. Don't forget that on the edit preferences page for the start up, you can point to a specific layout to use when Act starts.

Hope that helps. Someone on this forum just really saved my a_ _ recently. I am so glad I am able to give back. Good Luck!

Re: Restoring Custom Layout

Expanding on this issue...I saved my CLY file from a previous database customization and want to re-use it as I have all of my custom fields set. I saved it into the "Layouts" folder of the database files, and I see my customized fields, but they are grayed out. When I try and import data from a CSV, the data that should flow into the grayed fields doesn't get imported, but the data that shouold flow into the standard fields does. Any advice???