Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re-installing ACT 6.0.3

tfs

Re-installing ACT 6.0.3

Hi:  I recently up graded my PC from XP SP1 to SP2 in order to install Norton Anti Virus (NAV) 2008 and a couple of upgrades.  In the process, NAV 2008 insisted that I uninstall ACT 6.0.3 before running the Norton Removal Tool.  I installed NAV 2008 the reinstalled Act 6.0 then the 6.0.3 upgrade in safe mode without NAV running.  I can open Act and look up contacts, select a group etc.  Now to the issues:  1. Act opens and runs slowly. 2. If I click on Contact List, Groups or Calendar in the View Bar the Act locks up.  I do have Act 6.0.3 running normally on a laptop under XP SP2 but have not upgraded to NAV 2008.  Any suggestions would really be a appreciated, thanks? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Re-installing ACT 6.0.3

My guess is that you are using Norton antivirus or system works. if so the fix is to uninstall both ACT! 6 and Norton, restart the computer and then reinstall ACT! first and open ACT! 6 at least once and then reinstall Norton. Norton now blocks registry keys critical to the full installation of ACT! 6. If ACT! 6 is install first, everything should work.

The above is my canned response but it is critical to use ACT! 6 on system running a later version of Norton.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
tfs

I uninstalled ACT, uninstalled Norton AntiVirus using the Norton Removal Tool, rebooted and reinstalled ACT and the patches; I did not reinstall Norton AntiVirus.  I tested ACT with the same result, if I click on Contact List, Groups or Calendar in the View Bar the Act still locks up.  Any other suggestions?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Does it happen with all databases or only your database? Have you tried is with the demo database?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
tfs

Yes this happens with the demo database and my databases.  Thanks

[ Edited ]
Smiley Sad Does anyone know IF there is any way to unblock ACT 6.0.3 from the registry keys? Running on Windows XP - SP2

Message Edited by jmcre8 on 04-02-2008 09:53 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

tfs wrote:

I uninstalled ACT, uninstalled Norton AntiVirus using the Norton Removal Tool, rebooted and reinstalled ACT and the patches; I did not reinstall Norton AntiVirus.  I tested ACT with the same result, if I click on Contact List, Groups or Calendar in the View Bar the Act still locks up.  Any other suggestions?

Network database or local?
Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4dzw7m

jmcre8 wrote:
Smiley Sad Does anyone know IF there is any way to unblock ACT 6.0.3 from the registry keys? Running on Windows XP - SP2

which keys?
tfs

Thanks, I am running a local database and I set the paging file is 4000 MB.  I have not reinstalled Norton AntiVirus.  I retested ACT with the same result, if I click on Contact List, Groups or Calendar in the View Bar and Act still locks up using the demo database or my databases.  Any other ideas?  Thank you again.

tfs wrote:

Thanks, I am running a local database and I set the paging file is 4000 MB.  I have not reinstalled Norton AntiVirus.  I retested ACT with the same result, if I click on Contact List, Groups or Calendar in the View Bar and Act still locks up using the demo database or my databases.  Any other ideas?  Thank you again.

If this happens on all databases (including demo), I'd suggest a reinstall of ACT!