Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Question on ACT! 2000

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Question on ACT! 2000

Maybe, if you can get it installed. Definitely no with the 64 bit operating system. ACT! 2000 was designed for Windows 98 and Windows 2000. The 5.0.4 patch would let it run on Windows XP. Your likelyhood of success is very low and there really isn't any help available.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You absolutley CAN install Act 2000 on a Windows 7 64-bit OS. Using your install disc, explore instead of running the automated programs. Go into the Act 2000 folder and find the setup.exe specific to installing that program. Right-click and set the compatibility mode to something you are comfortable with and run that setup file. Installs as if there were never an issue. As has been stated before, it is the automated installer program that comes with the disc that is incompatible with Windows 7 64-bit and not the installer specific to the Act 2000 program. You do not need to upgrade and this hardly counts as a work around that would give you any less of a stable install than a traditional install. 

I have ACT 4.0 NOT ACT 2000. I have Windows 7 and set as 32 bit.

I have tried what you said by right clicking and setting to XP PACK2 which is what I had on XP before. I ran the program but the setup screen appeared everyting. I could not run it from only the file as you said. It still does not work. Here are the choices by order of priority:

1- find a way to make it work and resuse the file I have

2- Upgrade but I do not know how to convert the database file from 4.0 to the current version...is it risky

3- Tranfer the file from ACT 4.0 to Outlook 2010...is this easier?

I need this information and I thank you for your help.

Following advice on some blog or other (maybe here somewhere) I put the disk in and did not let it autostart.  I then went to File Explorer (or My Computer or whatever shows the files in a folder) and looked at the disk contents.  I went into "Act2000" folder and double-clicked "setup.exe" and ACT2000 installed instantly.  It is now working on my Windows 8 64-bit machine with no problems.

Tuned Listener

Yes it works on 64 bit.  I've been running it on Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium for a couple years.  ACT! 2000 will work on:

Windows 7 (support til 2020)

Windows 8 (support til 2023)

All you need to do is open the Act folder on the CD and click the setup.exe and let it run, enter your serial number, and you are good to go.

If Windows 9 supports 32 bit applications (likely) you'll be able to run it on a supported operating system until 2025.

I would sure like to know how you got this to run successfully on Windows 8.  I have tried relentlessly successfully install ACT! 5.04 (so that it actually runs without immediately crashing) on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  As soon as I start (run from the shortcut) ACT! 5.04 after having installed it, a fatal error occurs immediately; I have tried every applicable compatibility setting for all the associated executables, from Windows 95 to 98/ME to XP SP2 to none at all, and no matter what setting I use, the same fatal error occurs.  Please explain how you were able to get this to run on Windows 8, and if you actually DID rather than simply assuming it would since you got it to run on Windows 7 64-bit....  Thanks.

I would sure like to know how you got this to run successfully on Windows 8.  I have tried relentlessly successfully install ACT! 5.04 (so that it actually runs without immediately crashing) on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  As soon as I start (run from the shortcut) ACT! 5.04 after having installed it, a fatal error occurs immediately; I have tried every applicable compatibility setting for all the associated executables, from Windows 95 to 98/ME to XP SP2 to none at all, and no matter what setting I use, the same fatal error occurs.  Please explain how you were able to get this to run on Windows 8, and if you actually DID rather than simply assuming it would since you got it to run on Windows 7 64-bit....  Thanks.

The problem with upgrading, with this particular software, is that the newer versions are terrible. The interface is murky, messy, not clean and sharp like 2000. There are other issues too, but I frankly don't want to take up too much time outlining them. It'll just tick me off.

And yes, I DID spend the money to upgrade: first to 2010, then 2011, then I gave it ONE LAST SHOT with 2013. I was so disappointed and felt like a fool. ha, ha (sort of)...

That said, I do still like my ACT! 2000 and I do have Windows 7 Pro with XP Mode capability. My plan is to install it in XP Mode, though I SO wish Sage.....or now Swiftpage I believe....would put the resources into making this the excellent CRM it once was.

I came out to this forum just to see if there was any new information or workaround that would allow me to install this directly to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit version. I made this effort for two specific reasons: one is that one of my old work buddies tells me he DID install ACT! 2000 directly onto his Windows 7 machine (not virtual); he lives in another state now, but I trust him not to just say that. The second reason is because I noticed on another thread elsewhere that the reason it is tough to install on a Windows 7 64 bit system is (supposedly) ONLY because some of the installer files for ACT! 2000 are 16 bit, and therefore will not work with a 64 bit application. In other words, ACT! 2000 is a 32 bit app and once installed, it supposedly will actually work without needing a VM option, but getting it installed is the issue.

Any one else see it this way, or have something to add to this? Curious.

Bronze Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry you feel the way you do about Act! but you're completely wrong.

Act! v17 is fantastic and should be considered by you before throwing false statements into this forum.

I presume you must be still using a 1948 Buick and consider the latest versions rubbish?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

David,

Assuming you are an ACT! consultant as you say you are, I can understand you not wanting to see a post like mine out here. That said, you also MUST know it's true. I cannot tell you how many others in my profession used to use ACT! and now use other solutions. Some still use ACT! 2000 as I do because it was an excellent solution. I loved it. Still do. The newer versions are just a mess though.

As I wrote before, I am especially disappointed because I did buy the 2010, then 2011, then even 2013 to see if someone at Sage, then Swiftpage would have finally "gotten it"; meaning the need to integrate the newer functionalities into a software solution that is not so convoluted. In other words, you are (presumably) an expert. Ok fine. But this software is not supposed to be for experts David, it is SUPPOSED to be about people like me--the end user businessman--who needs a crisp, clean, easy to use interface that helps me to be more productive and ultimately make more money in my business.

I did also call ACT! sales, on a whim really and before I saw this post for sure. I asked if v17 is any different than 2013, and the lady I spoke with said not really, at least in terms of layout. I brought up my concerns about the interface, etc. and she acknowledged that they do hear this from some people. (Obviously, she has a job, so someone is buying, to be fair).

At some point I will have to find a better CRM solution David, as ACT! 2000 will not work with future OS on my computer, but to be clear-- I am not happy about it. I am not happy about my 2013 version just sitting like dead weight on my computer while I am (my opinion of course) forced to use ACT! 2000 to make sure that my whole day isn't taken up with trying to muddle my way through such a....murky?...interface and software.

And David, I did consider calling an ACT! Certified Consultant, and not just because ACT! Tech Support is legendarily bad. More I considered it because I thought maybe, maybe someone who knows the software inside and out could help me adapt the flaws, find a way to work around or ignore the obviously murky and overcomplicated interface in order to make use of what I presume are some good newer features? IF that could be accomplished, then maybe the consultant could help me plan how to best use the software, how to eMarket from the software itself, instead of having to download lists of my past customers, only to have to upload them to another program to run drip campaigns, etc. So far, I don't see a reason to do this because the software itself seems to be the problem.

I guess the real reason I am writing this response is not so much to you directly David, as I have no need to win a debate or rant aimlessly. I write this more in the hopes that someone from SwiftPage might look at it and realize there are some ACT! users (a lot of us from my viewpoint) who have been VERY loyal, but want....insist that the software be made more user friendly. In other words, it is not what this software might be able to do, it is more about recreating it in such a way as to make it more accessible to the masses. If anyone reading this needs an example, one that comes to mind is Adobe Acrobat Professional. I always liked it up through Writer 5, then they somehow lost their way and started to overcomplicate the software & interface, which made it tougher for the average business person to get things done. That said, long story short, they did finally (in my opinion) understand their mistake and with version 11 the interface became much more user friendly again. Not perfect, but better, and STILL with many advanced features that kept up with the times, so to speak.

In my view, that's the situation Swiftpage faces. I cannot tell if they bought this software to just "play out the string" and maximize every bit of revenue until their solution is completely irrelevant? Or, if they truly intend to plan for and improve this solution for the future?

And David, for the recond, I drive a 2014 Nissan Altima.