Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems viewing layout file I emailed to my partner. ACT 6.x

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problems viewing layout file I emailed to my partner. ACT 6.x

I changed the default layout, then made a copy of it with a different name.  I emailed it to my partner, who also has ACT 6.x, so he could place it in the file with his other ACT layouts so it would become an layout option he could chose. When he chooses the new layout it show only some of the new fields I created.  I don't understand why the new layout does not work for him?  Thanks! 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author erikokeefe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Problems viewing layout file I emailed to my partner. ACT 6.x

First and foremost. I'm sugesting that what you are trying to do in ACT 6 is much more complacated than I would put up with if I were you.  ACT 2010 can do this where the two of you can share this information at the touch of a button once it is set up.

If you must try to do this I would not send the dbf. You will corrupt your database.

I think what is not being clearly understood it that you need both the layout, and the correct fields in the database.  linking the fields to the database from the layout is what will be labor intensive and problematic.  The layout itself does not create the fields, it just profides a "window" to fields that are already in the database.  If you partner's database does not already have these fields, you must add them to his database manually and then manually go link the fields in his database to the layout you send him.  Again, lots and lots of hoops for what the new product does with a button.   

What you want to do will lead to database corruption, headaches and lots of extra work.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

This won't work.  The database behind the scenes (yours and his) must match up.  You could set up sync in ACT 6.0, but even then, changes like this don't travel well.

This was one of the great new features of new ACT.  New fields, layouts, letters, reports, queries attachments and data all synchronize.   Please consider an upgrade. 

(866)710 4228

I don't understand what you mean by "they must match up".  My partner has created a new database to be used for our clients/prospects only.  We both want the same layout so we can exchange contacts easily by importing/exporting a contact via text delimited.  If he has the same version of ACT that I do, why can't he use the same layout file that works for me?

I forgot to mention that I called ACT to see if sharing layouts was possible and they said yes, but they could not offer me technical support.  I read in a thread somewhere that if I was going to change a layout that I need to make a copy of the default layout first, then make changes.  I did not do this.  I changed the default, then saved it with a different name.  Perhaps this is the problem?  Thank you for you help with this!
Silver Contributor

This will only work if both database have the exact same field structure. Once you add fields to one database, you have changed the field structure and what you are trying will yeild the results you are getting.

The only way to do something like this would be to

1) add fields to database 1,

2) add same fields to database 2,

3) copy the layout from machine 1 to machine 2

4) verify that you have the have the new layout selected on each machine

5) on the second machine open the layout editor and reattach any fields that are not assigned to a field

Again, this may be more trouble than its worth and I would still reccomend upgrading.  

(866)710 4228

Platinum Elite Contributor

The link between the database fields and the layout goes by the field number. Field numbers are assigned in sequential order and if a field was previously deleted the first new field added will assume the field number of the deleted field. To share layouts in ACT! 6, you need to start with one database, add the fields you want then modify the layout for the new fields. Then you need to make an empty copy of the first database so the structure is retained and then never make changes to the structure of either database. If changes are required, then you need to start over.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Are you saying that I will need to email the actual dbs and its files to my partner so he will have the exact same database as mine or can I just make sure starts with a blank database and has the same numbers as in my fields?  Also, it sounds like you are also suggesting that I may have to create the same fields in my partners database as in my database, but this would defeat the purpose of sending him the layout file so it will populate itself in his database when he selects it.  I think I get what you are suggesting but need a little more clarification.  Thank you!
Solution
Accepted by topic author erikokeefe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

First and foremost. I'm sugesting that what you are trying to do in ACT 6 is much more complacated than I would put up with if I were you.  ACT 2010 can do this where the two of you can share this information at the touch of a button once it is set up.

If you must try to do this I would not send the dbf. You will corrupt your database.

I think what is not being clearly understood it that you need both the layout, and the correct fields in the database.  linking the fields to the database from the layout is what will be labor intensive and problematic.  The layout itself does not create the fields, it just profides a "window" to fields that are already in the database.  If you partner's database does not already have these fields, you must add them to his database manually and then manually go link the fields in his database to the layout you send him.  Again, lots and lots of hoops for what the new product does with a button.   

What you want to do will lead to database corruption, headaches and lots of extra work.

(866)710 4228

Sounds like a lot of work like you said. Perhaps the new version is the way to go.  Thank you for your help!!!