Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problems installing ACT! 2000

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Problems installing ACT! 2000

I'm having trouble installing ACT! 2000 on my Windows XP computer. I get I/O errors reading the disk. Was there some copy protection scheme on this old version or should I assume I have a bad disk?

A little background: I'm trying to help a nonprofit organization do some maintenance on their database. They have used ACT! 2000 since 2002. My intent was to install the software at home to test the changes before doing them for real on the actual database. I managed to find a copy of ACT! 2000 for sale on Amazon.com and purchased it. (The organization can no longer locate their CD.) The disk I bought looks legit and came with a serial number, but obviously I can't know for sure.

I know they could upgrade, but they have a lot of custom fields so it's nontrivial. Right now they have managed to get their data split across three different databases, so the person who uses it is continually skipping between them. The first thing I want to do is merge the three databases and do some serious cleaning of the data before I even want to think about an upgrade.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author billh
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Problems installing ACT! 2000

I think it really is a bad disk, but I was able to get it installed anyway! Several dozen files in D:\ACT2000\Bin are corrupt. But there is a second copy of the installation files in D:\ACT2000\Diskette, which was completely readable.

Thanks so much to those who responded with suggestions. It is just amazing to have a user community willing to help a newbie on a ten year old product.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most likely a bad disc. Try copying it to a folder on the C: drive and installing from there.

Upgrading with custom fields isn't a big issue, but it's definately better to do the data merging and cleaning before any upgrade/conversion

Message Edited by GLComputing on 07-04-2009 11:11 AM

Thank you for responding!

I've tried copying the files to my hard disk and I've tried reading it on two different PCs. I get I/O errors in every case. I guess the disk is bad. I'll look for another one.

The original ACT! 2000 (yellow disk) did not require a serial number, only the later white disk did. You didn't indicate when you get the errors, when it loads the disk or trying to do the actual install. If it's during the install it may be a bad disk (try Mike's suggestion and copy to the hard drive) or it could be installer problems. Some parts of ACT! 2000 still used the 16-bit installer and that could be the source of the problem. One other possibility involves Norton antivirus. The ACT! 2000 registry entries were located in the Symantec hive. Norton now protect its part of the registry so that could be the problem. If you have Norton installed, try uninstalling it (just disabling Norton will not help) and then try to install ACT! 2000.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author billh
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I think it really is a bad disk, but I was able to get it installed anyway! Several dozen files in D:\ACT2000\Bin are corrupt. But there is a second copy of the installation files in D:\ACT2000\Diskette, which was completely readable.

Thanks so much to those who responded with suggestions. It is just amazing to have a user community willing to help a newbie on a ten year old product.

I had forgot about the diskette image version being on there. You could have actually installed from the diskette images.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm also having problems installing ACT! 2000 on Win XP.

I have a version that I used many years ago, then moved to a server based database for the project I was working on. I now find that I want to use ACT! 2000 again for charitable purposes, because I remember exactly how flexible and excellent it was.

I only want ACT! 2000, but the install routine seems intent on installing an ACT! 5 demo, and cannot find the file act5demo.tl2. At this point installation fails, and it is very frustrating.

Any suggestions on a work around to avoid installing the demo, or perhaps a pointer to download a copy of the offending file would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, when I was originally using ACT! 2000 I was very competent with it, so short of hacking the underlying code I am happy to look at ANY solutions that people can offer. 

Thanks,

Spice. 

The demo database is always installed.

Are you trying to install from an original CD?

Do you have Norton anti-virus (it won't work if you have NAV installed)?

Do you have a product key (don't post it here, just asking)?

Hi,

I copied the files to C:/ (from external HDD) but I do have the original CD somewhere. With the disc I also have a valid serial number, which I noted elsewhere. No antivirus running at all, as the machine is not connected to the internet at all.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Spice. 

So you're not actually installing it, you're trying to copy the Program Files folder? This won't work for ACT! or pretty much any application as it's not copying the files integrated in Windows or the registry keys.

You'll need to find the proper install and you'll need the serial number to do it.