Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2003 + ACT! 0.6 + Norton Anti Virus = problem (???)

Outlook 2003 + ACT! 0.6 + Norton Anti Virus = problem (???)

Hi everybody! I have a problem with ACT! 0.6 After installing ACT every time I launch Otlook 2003 it gives me an error alert: "The add-in "C:\\Windows\system32\ActExt.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu" Detect and Repair did not help. ACT emails manager cannot work properly because of that problem. I found following tip related to this problem: "By the way, the solution proposed by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;Q820671 does not work for Outlook 2003, and it incorrectly identifies the file as an ACT! file, when in fact it is a Norton file" So is it a problem caused by Norton Anti Virus?
Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook 2003 + ACT! 0.6 + Norton Anti Virus = problem (???)

Close Act and Outlook

Try searching the PC for a file called extend.dat (you will need to search hidden files and folders in advanced options) you will definately have at least one.

Rename any instances that you find to extend.old

Launch Outlook again and test

Thank you for this solution. I had the same problem. I ran a Search for extend.dat and found 10 instances of the file. I have been using Outlook for a long time. Be sure to search Hidden files and folders as suggested, nine out 10 of my instances of extend.dat were hidden. Outook 2003 is back to normal now.

-BeauS

I see that solution helped to other users. It didn't help in my case.

Should I uninstall Norton Anti Virus and switch to AVG?
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can also try this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/yoklky

The only thing to remember with NAV and ACT! 6.0 is that you need to uninstall NAV (not just disable) before installing ACT!. You can then reinstall NAV after... otherwise some function (like connecting to Word) won't work

Smiley Mad It seems the conflict is most problematic between Norton Anti-Virus 2008 and ACT 6.0. Have others been able to resolve this when using Norton 2008? I am wondering if it is because Norton and ACT both live in the Symantec Folder? Has anyone tried loading ACT into a different folder ... IF YES, what were the results???
Nickel Elite Contributor

The problem with ACT! 6 comes from the fact that the ACT! registry entries are part of the Symantec hive. Starting with ACT! 2005 it had is own registry hive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

hi:

i am also experiencing a similar ACT! problem with 6.0, although i just replaced my computer, and although my act installed flawlessly, i cannot load the act 6.0.3. update and the word 2003 software patch, and outlook will not recognize the act address book.  When dowl is stating that "act 6.0 does not appear to be installed on your computer or you are using a trial version".  I have never received that message before, and my act works fine, even though i can't get the add-on's to work (like the word 2003 word processor).

if you respond, i would greatly appreciate emailing me at jsolomon@rjhltd.com, versus the bulletin board, since i'll receive that immediately.  thank you!

jim solomon

Platinum Elite Contributor

jsolomon27 wrote:

hi:

i am also experiencing a similar ACT! problem with 6.0, although i just replaced my computer, and although my act installed flawlessly, i cannot load the act 6.0.3. update and the word 2003 software patch, and outlook will not recognize the act address book.  When dowl is stating that "act 6.0 does not appear to be installed on your computer or you are using a trial version".  I have never received that message before, and my act works fine, even though i can't get the add-on's to work (like the word 2003 word processor).

If you use Norton Anti-Virus, you need to do this:

Uninstall ACT!

Uninstall NAV (not just disable it)

Install ACT! 6.0

Inststall ACT! 6.03 patch and Word 2003 Hotfix

Install NAV