11-23-2010 03:21 PM
I have recently started working at a company that is using ACT version 6.0. We have recently started using the "schedule an activity" option to schedule calls on our cases. We have just over 45,000 contacts in the database and we're running Windows XP. We schedule around 3000 activities a week and clear around 500 each day. I use the admin function to delete cleared activities older than a week old. We implemented this at the first of November and it has been working fine until this past week, when the "details" that we add to a specific contact/activity started showing up on the wrong contact record.
These details that are added when we made calls to our contacts are vitally important and since they write to the notes/history, it is important that the notes are actually linked to the correct contact.
Has anyone seen this error occur before and do you have any suggestions? We have some users connected directly to the db and others who connect via terminal server. Would that have any impact?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
11-23-2010 04:07 PM
There are several issues: as I recall terminal server wasn't officially supported by ACT! 6. However I don't think that is the cause of your problems. I think that you have other causes for your problems. Most important is database size and activity. ACT! 6 was not designed for the number of contact records along with the additional records (activities and resulting history record) that you have and are adding. IIn ACT! 6 the detail for an activity or history were stored in a separate file from the actual activity or history record, those records only had a pointer to the details that were stored in a separate file. Very seriously you should consider upgrading to ACT! 2011 which uses the MSSQL database engine and will handle the size and level of activity that you have.
As to your present ACT! 6 setup:
1. Run the database repair in the ACTDIAG
2. Run database maintenance daily.
3. Make sure opportunistic locking is turned off on the server.
4. Cross you fingers that the database isn't seriously corrupted.
11-24-2010 06:51 AM
Thanks for the quick response, Roy.
Under the database maintenance option, there are numerous selections. Which maintenance should we be doing daily?
And regarding terminal server, is is possible that terminal server connections ARE causing the problem? This didn't come up until we started allowing users to access the db through terminal server (due to poor performance issues) so it does seem to me that it might be related.
Upgrading is not an option for us at this point since ACT really doesn't support our kind of business (bail bonds company). We are just trying to keep it up and running while we move to a more appropriate app.
Thanks again for your help.
11-24-2010 08:14 AM
I don't think terminal server is directly the cause of your problems. however if opportunistic locking isn't turned off, that could be your problem. It determines how the server handles writes to the hard drive. It's a form a caching and with the multi-file structure of the ACT! 6 database, opportunistic locking On caused information to be scrambled in the ACT! 6 database.
The database maintenance you want is the Compress and Reindex.
Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
11-24-2010 09:56 AM
Reviewed and responded to private message :-)
Ok. Here's what is happening.
I did a mass look-up and assigned an individual activity to a large group of contacts. I entered one note for the activity, which would have been linked to each contact's scheduled activity.
When the workers pulled up their task list, 95% of the activities had the correct note, but for a group of them, the note was not what I had entered. Instead, a field name was listed with the date that field name had been updated. It looked like it was just pulling some random value from the notes/history file and associating it with the task I had scheduled.
When the workers were making their calls, they left the bogus notes in the details, and then added their own specific notes.
We just made a copy of our db and ran the diagnostic tool, which showed that we had corrupt notes/histories (big surprise).
We ran the database repair feature and now my original notes are back on the correct contacts record, but the notes that the workers added are not showing up there any longer.
I think we can live with what happened but we are still not sure HOW this happened or how to avoid it in the future.
Thanks so much
11-24-2010 10:43 AM
That definitely sounds like the server opportunistic locking is On at the server, turn it Off.
11-27-2010 02:09 AM - edited 11-29-2010 07:29 AM
The instructions to turn off Opportunitic Record Locking are in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
After turning off Ops Locks, you'll need to do a database repair as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
11-27-2010 02:10 AM