Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Note entries are deleting or changing themselves

Note entries are deleting or changing themselves

I have ACT 4.0.  I know it's old but before I upgrade to Premium I need to figure out what's going on now.   When I go to insert a note entry into one of my customers the note entry stays.  When I go to insert a second note entry for the same customer my previous entry deletes itself completely leaving the first note entry blank.  Besides deleting previous notes it has also substituted my previous entry notes for random letters.  Example:  I typed test" in the first note entry.  I go to my second note entry for the same customer and now my first note entry changes from "test" to random letters from the alphabet.   What is going on???  I've already had a techie out here to make sure we do not have a virus on our system and he is not really familiar with Act.  Can somebody help me.

Silver Contributor

Re: Note entries are deleting or changing themselves

Before you spend too much time and effort on ACT 4.0, you might just upgrade it.  Nothing about the way ACT 4 works with respect to this issue will be the same in ACT 13 as it's a totally different program.  Spend the money and effort getting the database to a supported version and go from there.  Just a sugestion. Good luck to you.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

If running on a shared database, this happened mainly with problems caused by Opportunistic Record Locking in Windows... there is a fix if this is your case.

If a single user, the indexes maybe damaged and might be repaired with ACTDIAG

But, as Jon says, best with an upgrade:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/tips-for-converting-act-60-or-earlier.html

Thank you for your response.  I just needed that little extra outside support to get the ball rolling at work to get us out of the stone age era. 

Thanks!

Thank you for the link.  I'll have our techie look at it.  He's very good at his job but doesn't have any customers who have used Act! software at all.  At least I have confirmation that it's not just me making this stuff up.  We will definitely be upgrading but I guess I need to make sure everything is in okay order before we start the process.  I like the saying "garbage in = garbage out.  We need to do it right the first time.

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor