Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help on ACT4! backup

Need help on ACT4! backup

I have been using ACT 4, Build 358 until 3 weeks ago.  I backed-up every week to a thumb drive.  That's all I have.  Either virus or HD disaster wiped out EVERYTHING, including the program.  I do not know where my original disk is. 

I installed ACT 2006 Version 8 and tried first to Restore from my thumb drive.  No Success.  Then I tried to Import from the thumb drive.  No success.

In desperation, I bought ACT4 on Ebay, but it is Build 219 and would not allow Restore.
I bought another ACT 4 that was Build 294 and it would not allow Restore.

When I did a backup, I Hit FILE, Backup and designated my external thumbdrive.  The program name was warren.zip.

I need some help.  Almost every contact I have is in a thumb drive and I can not get at it.  I am desperate.  HELP!
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Need help on ACT4! backup

Hi,

You will need to unzip the backup file then run through a conversion on ACT 2006

Here are the steps:
1. Copy the zip file from the thumb drive to your desktop
2. Create a folder on the desktop, I'd recommend naming it ACT 4 Database
3. Unzip the warren.zip file to the newly created folder
4. Open ACT 2006
5. Go to File / Open Database
6. Change File of type to show .dbf
7. Browse to the folder you unzipped the back up to and double click on the .dbf file
From there, follow the wizard to finish the conversion

I'm going to follow your directions to the letter, and I'll report back.   You'll probably hear my screams of elation or dispair about an hour from now.

thank you, thank you, thank you.
Nickel Super Contributor

You're welcome. Just let us know how it goes.

Thanks