Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT! 6.0 Database

Moving ACT! 6.0 Database

Windows 7 pro os, stand alone program.  OS corrupt so cannot use ACT or most programs & must reinstall Win 7 pro.  Need to move db files but get the error with ALF and ADF files - says sql server is open and cannot copy and paste.  Can't use ACT program so what options to save my database files when os is re-installed????

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving ACT! 6.0 Database

First off that's not an ACT! 6 database, it's ACT! 7 or later. In answer to your question you will need to stop the SQL server to be able to copy the database files. ACT! doesn't control the database files, the SQL server does and the SQL server starts a boot time and opens all attached databases.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you stop the SQL Server service, you'll be able to copy those files. Don't forget the Files Folder underneath ... and don't both copying the PAD file as it will have to be recreated

User stupidity.  When I had the issue I was not able to reinstall the ACT program so I grabbed a user manual on my shelf.  Turned out it was several versions back and I was really using ACT Pro 2011.  Once realized I found the right disc, installed the program and restored the database.  Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble.