Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mapping fields

Mapping fields

[ Edited ]
Holy mother I am having a world of trouble!!! 
I recently had a computer crash and had to reinstall ACT 6.0.  I am having trouble bring my saved databases from a CD back into ACT with the mapping being correct.  I created a field labeled and identified as "E-mail" but as I bring the saved information back it doesn't go there.  Matter of fact I can't see it at all, I don't know where it goes?  Any ideas?
Thanks
Message Edited by ghollister on 12-22-2009 12:43 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mapping fields

The E-mail "field" that you see in the layout is not a field in the main database table but rather a portal to the separate E-mail table. That is why E-mail is not available as a data type and why you can't sort by e-mail address or use E-mail in the duplicate checking. The E-mail table can hold more than one E-mail address for a user but only the default address can be used for addressing an e-mail message

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You guess is that you haven't restored or opened the correct layout for the database.

How are you trying to bring the info back?

Here's the full story,  Computer got hammered by a virus.  I brought it to a tech who saver all the "c"data on an external hard drive and then wiped it.  She then reinstalled the OS without ACT on it.  When I got it home I reinstalled ACT and saw that that nothing was saved anywhere.  I went back to the tech, explained what was going on, and she then found the ACT databases on her external.  She then copied these files to a CD for me.  I am now trying to take the databases off of the CD and have them mesh woth the program. This is where I am having the problem.  When I use the wizard to import through data exchange, how do I get the left column in contact map "map this field" to have a column that says "email" so it will accept my data?  I have done it before but cannot seem to get it now.

Try email login
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That does work.  When I use my own email address from my own contact page it does go through. All is set up correctly that way.