Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making tjhe leap from v 6.0.3 to Act! 2010 (v12)

Making tjhe leap from v 6.0.3 to Act! 2010 (v12)

Have a couple of databases (and accompanying layouts)  created in v 6.0.3 .  Nothing terribly complex, etc.

My question is whether I should install v 2010 OVER the existing 6.0.3, or might I avoid a variety of difficulties by simply UNINSTALLING v 6.0.3 (saving m y relevant database files), and then INSTALLING v 2010 as a new application?

Thank you for your insight(s)!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Making tjhe leap from v 6.0.3 to Act! 2010 (v12)

So, Mike, am I understanding that any installation "glitches" that are going to happen--if they happen--are likely to happen whether or not I have a clean install?  I would really like to minimize the probability of foulups.  As it happens, I make a SUPERB BETA TESTER, as anything that can go wrong w/ a program seems to happen to me!

Thanks for your response/interest.

Jim Boyd

Silver Contributor

ACT 6.0 and ACT 12.0 can coexist on the same system.  I can't think of any "glitches" associated with having them both loaded. ACT 12.0 is going to "take over" integration with email and letters, but other than that you can keep your old system there to refer back to.

In regards to minimizing glitches, the key is to properly prepare your existing ACT 6.0 database prior to conversion.

Take a look at the associated KB article (How to Convert an ACT! 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (2000) or 6.x (2004) Database to ACT! by Sage 2010)  Located here

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Will do, and thank you.
Bronze Contributor

If you have various layouts and databases you might find leaving version 6 on the machine is an advantadge during initial stages asthe layout conversion often means going back and doing some serious modifications.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.