Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locating a Field in Database

Tuned Listener

Locating a Field in Database

We are using ACT6.0.  When I edit the design layout of my Activities tab, I plainly see a field called "E-Mail Address".  However, when I look into the database file itself (contacts.dbf), I do not see a field with this name nor do I see any field with any type of e-mail address as data.  I am trying to link to the ACT database with another program so I can pull out the person's e-mail address--I already have this working using the mailing address & phone number from the ACT database (these fields I do see).  It doesn't even appear to be some USER field I set up.  Any idea where this e-mail field is?  Are there other databases we don't see or use?  Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Locating a Field in Database

The E-mail "field" that you see in the layout is not a field in the main database table but rather a portal to the separate E-mail table. That is why E-mail is not available as a data type and why you can't sort by e-mail address or use E-mail in the duplicate checking. The E-mail table can hold more than one E-mail address for a user but only the default address can be used for addressing an e-mail message

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: Locating a Field in Database

So it sounds like it is not possible to link to the ACT database with another program so I can pull out the person's e-mail address like I do with their mailing address??  Is there any way to get to and/or use the separate e-mail table, and if so, what are the tricks?  How do I get to the default address?  Which file database-name.xxx is it?  Thanks.