Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locate by keyword does NOT display window to enter keyword

Locate by keyword does NOT display window to enter keyword

When I try to do a Locate by Keyword function, the window that used to pop up where I could enter the Keyword does NOT display.

I tried changing the monitor Hardware Accelaration setting as suggested in the ACT forum Answer ID 11890 forum entry but all that did was change my second monitor to be black and not display anything.  I use two monitors on my system.  The first monitor with the main ACT! window on it was still visible but this did nothing to resolve my problem.

I am using ACT! for Windows Build 6.0.3.979 on a Dell system with Windows XP Media Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 3 and all Microsoft updates applied.

The Keyword search has worked fine in the past but has recently stopped working.  Other Lookup functions like Last Name continue to work without any problems.

I would appreciate any suggestions on fixing this problem.

Mark Gump

Re: Locate by keyword does NOT display window to enter keyword

Mark,

Is this a PC or laptop?  Has the machine ever been hooked up to use multiple monitors?

When you select keyword search, does ACT! freeze?

Thanks for the reply.  The machine is a desktop Windows XP Media Center 2002 machine fully up to date with Microsoft updates including Service Pack 3.  As noted in my original post, the machine has two monitors connected.  I have tried moving the open windows around to make sure the "Keyword" criteria window has not been hidden when I ask for it to be displayed and that does NOT seem to be the case. the window just does not get displayed.  I suspect it has to do with usin dual monitors alright but all other "Lookup" type functions pop up the window to enter the specific lookup criteria so it is very odd that the "Keyword" lookup doesn't show the pop up window.  This "Keyword" lookup function has worked fine on this machine with the two monitors in use for many months in the past.

ACT does NOT freeze when I try the "Keyword" lookup.  It simply seems to ignore the request and I can go on and do other functions like Lookup by Company Name or First or Last Name or scroll through records, etc.

Mark

I have exactly the same problem - but I cannot find the solution in this board. The window for keyword search does not open. Yesterday all worked well. I use a laptop - sometimes with one monitor, sometimes with two - but all other applications work perfectly, I cannot imagine what has happened from one day to the other.

Is there a solution?

Kind regards, Theresa

Hello - can anyone help with this issue? i too have the same issue here, the keyword search pop up box does not appear, but all the other search boxes work fine...

Windows XP SP3 machine - dual monitor - have checked all monitor settings etc these are all fine, if the user logs on to another machine - its fine, have done a clean re-install of the application - still no luck

Can anyone help with this? its ACT 6 too (old i know!)

Any suggestions/advice welcome

Many Thanks

Copper Contributor

Your issue sounds like it stems from the dual monitor situation.  When both monitors are in play change the screen resolution to as high as they will go on each display  it will be hard to read because everything will be really small, launch your act program and try your keyword search.  It should be on one of the two screens at this point.  Once located move it back to the center of the primary screen, which should be the one with the start button.  If your not sure, you can click the identify button while in the screen resolution setup in windows.

Windows saves the location the dialog box was last displayed.  With you using dual monitors sometimes it kind of opens a can of worms with this issue.   I've had this issue in a bunch of applications because i use dual monitors as well. 

Best regards,

Joe K.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet

Yes, Windows saves the location of the dialog box - NOW I know it. Smiley Happy)) When I changed back to use two monitors instead of one, I found the dialog box on the "other" monitor. It seems that I had opened it last time on the second monitor. From now on I am very careful to open the keyword search on the same monitor as ACT. Thanks anyway for the help! Best regards, Theresa

Thank you so much for your help on this one! i unplugged 2nd monitor, started up ACT, keyword search appeared - connected up 2nd monitor and its there!

Thank you very very much for your help Smiley Happy

Platinum Super Contributor

I have this problem and wonder if anyone knows the registry setting to put the keyword search dialog back to it's original position on the primary screen?