Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue with design layout - Act! 6

Issue with design layout - Act! 6

I am having a great deal of problems figure out how to get my four seperate databases to utilize the exact same layout design.  The following is what I have done and failed miserable:

1. Opened Database A
  2. Went to Tools -> Design Layouts
  3. Went to File -> Open -> Universal.cly
  4. I then close the Design Layouts window by clicking the top right window box

This works for the first database.  When the exact same is attempted with Database B, C & D just about all the locations for the fields are incorrectly labeled and the field is incorrect also.  For example:  The first label & field is suppose to be OWNER FIRST but for Database B, C & D it is MAIL ADDRESS for the lable & field.  If I attempt to move the field and label around in the Design Layout for Database B, it will change the locations that everything for Database A was set as.  Please advise on anything that could help me resolve this issue.  I've been trying my best to work this out solo by reading books and researching using google but nothing has been resourceful.  I can be contacted anytime if the above does not make sense or require more detailed information.  If needed, I can supply images.  Again, thank you for anyone's time; it is much appreciated.

Brian Varner

bvarner86@gmail.com 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Issue with design layout - Act! 6

Save the changes as a new layout, you keep changing the same layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I am having a very similar problem to the one described above.

I have added new fields to some of my databases, but when I take the existing layout, save it as a new layout, add the new fields and save the layout it works fine for the database that's open.

When I open one of the other databases and view it with the new layout the fields are jumbled - if I sort the problem with this database and save the changes as new layout then when I go back to the first database the fields are jumbled again.

Also, I don't understand the reply to the original question.

All I am doing is saving a map of where I want ACT to put my data fields on the screen.  Why can't it perform this task simply and consistently?

Copper Contributor

multiple db presents a few problems

because the information is stored by number in the map so if u delete and add new fields in each db they don't necessarily match.

using actdiag create a db fields report for each DB.

u will probably find that the same field titles have different field numbers for the fields u entered.

when u create the layout in one db then go to the other db it shows u the jumble because the field numbers don't match.

the solution here is to use a different named layout for each db.

Alternately, u could play DB tag and keep the DBs the same as far as fields are concerned.

That would require creating an empty DB of one and exporting the other to it, then making the same

changes in both DBs in the same sequence. somewhat more of a mess.

ALSO, the layout must be SAVED AS a different name and not copied and pasted with a name change.

HOWEVER, that means one of the db will require u to change the layout everytime u open it because that is 

a preference and it is controlled by the next problem.

the other problem is that the registry stores the customizations/preferences - not a file in the db.

therefore when u change customizations for one db they will apply to the other db.

u can solve this issue by doing a complete backup of the ACT registry with actdiag then

use a batch file to open each db.

the batch file will first run the REG file for that db entering it into the registry - overwriting what was there - then open the db

If u make a change in the preferences for that db u will need to update that db reg file.

I did this with threeDBs and it worked just fine.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You keep changing the same layout. You need to create and save a second layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Ruggb,

I was beginning to suspect that the layout was using something other than field name to do the mapping.

Using a different layout for each database is not a practical solution, so I will have to sort the databases out properly - I can mange that with the information you have provided.

Thanks again.

[ Edited ]

Roy

I don't understand why you repeated your earlier post.

It doesn't explain the cause of the problem and having a different layout for each database is not a practical solution ... 

I have rated your reply as a 1 - I felt I had to give it a rating although zero would have been better.

I have done this because:

1) The reply suggests that you have haven't understood the question - and it is also somewhat insulting to me.  I did read your previous reply in this topic and had wasted time creating new layouts which I didn't think were going to work and were in fact never going to solve my problem.

2) You haven't offered an explanation as to the cause of the problem - contrast with Rugbb's reply.

3) Rugbb's reply told me where to look to find the information I need and what to do to resolve the problem - I can fix the problem now.

I rated Rugbb's posting as a 5 as it is useful rather than a repeat of something that had already wasted my time.

Message Edited by joe90uk on 02-21-2009 02:41 AM
Message Edited by joe90uk on 02-21-2009 02:42 AM

Ruggb

Can you explain in a bit more detail about the second part of your post where you say that it's possible to associate a specific layout with a database by updating the registry.

I understand that the layout used by the database is not stored in the database itself but I have looked at the registry settings and can't see any information that relates layouts to databases - so I'm a bit puzzled.

This isn't essential, but if it can be made to work it would be great.

Platinum Elite Contributor

At one time there was an addon that would do what you want but thats the only way that I know of.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129