Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT 6! on Windows 10

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Installing ACT 6! on Windows 10

I am a total IT neanderthal and devoted ACT 6.0 user. Up until yesterday, I was running ACT 6.0 on a Windows XP machine. I've finally upgraded to Windows 10, but I can't get ACT 6.0 to install. I've downloaded the ACT 6.0 installation software form the Sage website, but after I unpack it, I can't find any of the unpacked files (including the setup.exe file). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author oldfashioned
‎02-06-2017 08:29 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing ACT 6! on Windows 10

Even is you get it installed on Windows 10, you are likely have problems running ACT! 6 on Windows 10. The download likely went to the default download folder and the unpack would take place there and that may be the location of the install files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author oldfashioned
‎02-06-2017 08:29 AM

Even is you get it installed on Windows 10, you are likely have problems running ACT! 6 on Windows 10. The download likely went to the default download folder and the unpack would take place there and that may be the location of the install files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I installed Act 6.0 on Windows 8.1 When I upgraded to Win 10, ACT 6 ran just fine. Hard disk crash required I reload software. Now I can't load 6.0. Frustrating.

I'm not surprised. Any program that runs on Windows uses to a greater or lesser degre, services supplied by the operating system. Many of the services that ACT! 6 uses dates back to Windows 95. Recent versions of Windows have eliminated many of these legacy services and replaced them with more up to date versions. No doubt Windows 8 retained some that were critical to ACT! 6 and the upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 10, they were retained. However it appears that a fresh install for Windows 10 does not provide those legacy services. Time to upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Employee

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Just for fun loaded on Windows 10 and it worked! Even linked to an old copy of Outlook 2007 which I did not think it would work with!

I went to the install files and right clicked on the setup file, selected properties, compatibility, and chose Windows XP Service Pack 2

I am sure there will be issues but was surprised it loaded. Was like looking at an old friend.