Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT 6.0 on Windows 7 32 bit version

Copper Contributor

Installing ACT 6.0 on Windows 7 32 bit version

I read a couple of posts on here that said that users were able to install ACT 6 on Windows 7 - 32 bit version.

One said that they did it in safe mode.  Another did it in the regular mode, but clicked on the 32-bit install file, instead of the 16-bit install file that is the default setup file.

I tried ACT 2010, and found it really doesn't work for what I need to do.  I also tried installing ACT 6 in the Windows 7 XP mode, and found that to be slow and cumbersome.  It didn't integrate with programs on ACT 7's regular platform, and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone who uses ACT as a main program, as I do.  I tried installing ACT 6 on Windows 7, 64 bit version in every way possible, and couldn't get it to load.

I'm considering downgrading my operating system to the Windows 7 32-bit version (new computer), as I have nothing that needs a 64-bit OS anyway, and may not for many years.  How many of you have installed ACT 6 on Windows 7, 32-bit, successfully?  Can I be guaranteed tht it will work, or does it vary machine to machine.

Right now, I have version 6.02, but I can probably get a copy of v. 6.03 if that makes any difference.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing ACT 6.0 on Windows 7 32 bit version

With all due respect, I consider efforts to install ACT! 6 on Windows 7 to be a waste of time. I have seen claims that it can be done but you will be on your own as far as any support for your efforts.

I'd be interested in knowing what your problem was with ACT! 2010.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I create numerous databases for different projects. it seems that ACT 2010 is better if you want to creat a single database.

I found ACT 2010 to be very slow when exchanging information between databases, and very cumbersome when creating new databases, especially if I want to use a custom layout. I was using an i3 processor, and still found it much slower than ACT 6.

The advantage I saw in ACT 2010 was the ability to do custom searches within fields, unlike ACT 6.
Platinum Elite Contributor

While the processor isn't uninportant, the hard drive RPM and the total memory are the most important considerations for ACT! performance. Because the ACT! 2010 databases are accessed through SQL server that means when you create a new database it attaches to the SQL server and sets up internal links and indexes for rapid access to the data.

I have to wonder why you would be creating enough databases so that the creating setup time would be a consideration.Even if you created one new database per day, the total time puldn't be significant. For most people the dessirable setup is to have a single database. I typically ahve several active databases on my system because of the report work that I do and most reports are specific to a database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too complicated to explain my business and why I need multiple databases, but I have found it far easier to work with numerous ones.  I have no server in a home business, with two PC's.

I tried doing the things that I did in the past with ACT 6, and it took far too much time, so I gave up after a few days.

I'm going to do what I can to stick with ACT 6.

Does anyone else have any experience with installing it to Windows 7, 32 bit?

YES, I JUST INSTALLED ACT 6.03 ON MY NEW DELL COMPUTER THAT HAS WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL. I AM A COMPLETE AMATEUR & AFTER GETTING MY ACT 6.03 SER# FROM HELP ON THIS PROGRAM (SEE LOST SER#) I NOT SURE JUST WHAT I DID BUT I INSTALLED ACT 6.03 & WHEN IT ASKED FOR MY SER# (WHICH I NOW HAVE) IT LOADED & I NOW HAVE ACT 6.03 RUNNING ON MY COMPUTER. AS I'M STILL LEARNING HOW TO USE WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SETUP MY EMAIL OR FAXING INFO (DUE TO NOT KNOWING WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL YET) BUT MY DB IS SETUP & WORKING. I HOPE THIS INFO HELPS. NOW IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO GET THE INFO (ACT 6 DB INFO)FROM MY OLD COMPUTER TO MY NEW COMPUTER I WOULD BE HAPPY.