Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Incoming email body, subject and from:/to: data vanishing seemingly at random!

Incoming email body, subject and from:/to: data vanishing seemingly at random!

Act6 on Windows XP, SP3.  Using Internet email option, not Outlook or Outook Express. Preview pane enabled.

Incoming emails downoad from server OK.  First read/preview is fine but then the body, subject and the from:/to: info vanish, both from the folder list and the email when opened, the only data that remains is the sent/received date/time.

It doesn't matter if the email is from an existing contact or not, whether left in the inbox or moved to another folder, whether in HTML or not, whether it has attachments or not, whether replied to or not, whether attached to contact or not. Once the text/data goes then that is it - it doesn't come back on re-opening the email BUT those that stay OK after first reading seem to be unaffected.

If you try to reply to or forward these "phantom" emails then there is no prefilled data for the reply address or email body.

I've check email folder locations are correct, but this didn't seem totally relevant as only some (60%) emails are affected.

This is getting frustrating, as emails are vanishing all over the place!

Any suggestions??

Cheers.

Re: Incoming email body, subject and from:/to: data vanishing seemingly at random!

Thanks for the pointers Mike, but I've already done the knowledgebase to death and looked at those articles you listed. 

All the folders are in the right place.  It isn't attachments that are the issue - it's the actual body/text and from: and to: data that is the problem. When the email first appears then all the data is visible. Once I click on it to bring it into the preview pane then the from: address vanishes. If I click on another email then back on this one then the to: address goes.  Next time I open it then the entire email body text has vanished.  The only data that remains to be displayed is the sent & received date/time, other than that nothing else is left!!

This is the first and only ACT6 installation on this machine so it isn't an upgrade related issue.  It's only been happening for the last 3 or 4 months but getting worse - first it was only the odd email, now it seems like over half!  Prior to that it has been fine for 6 months (I bought the copy of ACT6 as a new opened box via Ebay as I needed something to track customers in my new business and had used ACT6 before).  As I said before, there seems to be no pattern to explain which emails are affected.  Emails from the same customer within minutes of each other can be affected differently (1 suffers, the other doesn't)

The only thing I can think is that something else that has been installed has screwed things up, but the only thing logged as new install since the ACT6 install is AdBlock Pro (for IE).  I have uninstalled this with no effect.  This machine is only used for ACT and has Kaspersky on preventing viruses and has been scanned for malware/spyware.

Any more thoughts??

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Incoming email body, subject and from:/to: data vanishing seemingly at random!

What build of ACT! (from Help | about)?

Does it happen if the Preview pane is off?

Have you thought of using Outlook Express or Outlook?

Hi Mike,

Build is 6.0.3.979

Preview pane on or off seemingly makes no difference.

Have just swapped to Outlook Express and seems to working OK (when I finally got it to send!!)

Cheers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The only other thing I can think of is if the update didn't work and you have something like these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1273...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1321...

You could try an uninstall and reinstall to see if it helps - backup database and email first

One thing to note is that Outlook Express doesn't permit sending in HTML from an external app... only internet Mail or Outlook allows this.

Also, if you need to do merges, you might look at MergeMaster! Pro