Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing data, while not deleting notes

Importing data, while not deleting notes

I am new to ACT! and am helping my boss figure out what inefficiencies he has with his general approach to the tool.  Instead of utilizing standard fields to segment the contacts, they've created several groups.  I have Excel information from another database that I want to merge with his to fill in the holes.  When I copy his database and export it to avoid ruining it, I select to have all the fields exported, however I do not see where the notes go.  The notes are most important to him and I need to make sure that I can upload and update this new field information while not altering his notes. 

I would appreciate any help,

-Nate

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing data, while not deleting notes

You can export the Notes in that way.

Are both the databases ACT!? If not, what is the other database?

What version of ACT!?

ACT! V6 - The other database, is actually a spread sheet of account names, values, etc.  The records within ACT are incomplete and I have a list of all clients sourced from internal account information.  I want to Vlookup in Excel based of last names and fill in as much of the missing info via automation as possible.  If I could ensure that uploading the csv file after its updated wouldn't delete contact notes and utilize Excel instead of manually entering, that woule be ideal.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unless you're a programmer, this is pretty complex.

Possible the easiest way is just to export the contact info (as you have been doing),add the extra info with Excel, the import back into the orgiginal data with Oak!Merge!

Thanks again for the insight