Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

It depends on thier network setup... and whatever is an "average" user :-)

If they can create the connection (either by port forwading or VP, which would be necessary anyway)... then they can follow the KB articles and it will usually work ok.

Copper Contributor

satoauto Please tell us how the conversion went!

thanks!

Copper Contributor

Mike, true!  What is an "average user"?  I've been using windows since 3.11, I did my own web page and later blog, I can edit and use Vegas Pro 8, I've been building my own computers since the 486 days and just built a quad-core editing machine.

Having said that, I have little to no experience with networking.   I can't even get my wife's vista machine talking to mine (it worked on my last windows install) but I havn't spent a lot of time with it.  Am I an "average user," who knows? 

Here at work, I will need help from our IT guys because I don't have admin privlidges and I'm sure they'll need to set up the VPN on this side.  Hopfully I'll be able to handle the setup on my home machine.  I placed a call to them yesterday and am waiting for a call back.  I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

@satoauto wrote:

Mike, true!  What is an "average user"?  I've been using windows since 3.11, I did my own web page and later blog, I can edit and use Vegas Pro 8, I've been building my own computers since the 486 days and just built a quad-core editing machine.

Having said that, I have little to no experience with networking.   I can't even get my wife's vista machine talking to mine (it worked on my last windows install) but I havn't spent a lot of time with it.  Am I an "average user," who knows? 

Joe the Plumber? ;-)

Copper Contributor

Nah, I can do a kitchen faucet, but the bathtub still drips...

Copper Contributor

Are we still talking about plumbing?  ;-)

Copper Contributor

Yes, I've successfully installed Act 11 and converted my Act 6 database.  I haven't tried at work yet cause I'm still waiting for IT to retun my call.