Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

Copper Contributor

Re: I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.  I think I"ll need that link when I'm ready to set up my sync for version 11.  I was actually asking about the requirement that the Act 6 database be  'synchronized into one" database prior to the initial installation of 11.  I sync daily by e-mail now, and I'm thinking that all they are asking for is a "send all"sync but I wanted to be sure they're not asking for a merge of some sort?  
Platinum Elite Contributor

As long as you've done syncs from any remotes and received them into the master, then the data will be in the master, which is the db you will convert
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike.  I'll be working on the home database tomorrow morning.  Hopefully thing will go smoothly, I've got custome fields, and about 6000 records to move. 
Copper Contributor

I believe setting up syncing can be a huge mistake.  I always suggest trying a tool such as GoToMyPC because it is easier and can be cheaper to work with (as little as $99.00 per year).

If you install GoToMyPC on your work computer,  you can access your office computer from any computer that has Internet access.  If you can work on your office computer from anywhere, why sync?

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com
Copper Contributor

Interesting perspective Tony.  I might even conider it if it ware a 'one time pay' and not a subscription service.  Anyway, at this point, I'm having trouble getting the program to install at home. 

The first attempt failed, because the sa password didn't match.  I tried to use the unstaller program but it didn't get far enough to have "Act by Sage" as my uninstall choice.  I manually removed all instances of SQL and tried again.

The second attempt faild with a "Fatal 1603 error"  I followed Mikes instructions below:

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

This is now my third attempt and this time I got past the 'sa' password, and did not receive a '1603 error' but after finishing just about everything it appears to be hung on a beautiful blue screen with the Act! logo in the corner.  Nothing is happening.  I have not reached the "ACT! Setup - ACT! Setup Complete dialog box appears." 

Is it time for the 'three finger salute' to start over?  

Copper Contributor

OK a quick ctrl+alt+del showed that something was still working and 20 minutes later (on a Quad core) the installation is done.  Now on to converting my Act 6 database. 

@getmyacttogether wrote:

I believe setting up syncing can be a huge mistake.  I always suggest trying a tool such as GoToMyPC because it is easier and can be cheaper to work with (as little as $99.00 per year).

If you install GoToMyPC on your work computer,  you can access your office computer from any computer that has Internet access.  If you can work on your office computer from anywhere, why sync?

Sync should be fine if it's set up correctly at the beginning.

Copper Contributor

I agree ACT syncronization can work fine if it is setup properly.  With 20-20 hindsight, you might find paying for a service such as GoToMyPC can be less expensive than sync setup costs and maintenance (if needed).  On another note, LogMeIn offers a free service.

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group

@getmyacttogether wrote:

I agree ACT syncronization can work fine if it is setup properly.  With 20-20 hindsight, you might find paying for a service such as GoToMyPC can be less expensive than sync setup costs and maintenance (if needed).  On another note, LogMeIn offers a free service.

VPNs and GoToMyPC aren't always reliable and can have their own issues if the internet is not reliable... or with a few users.

Copper Contributor

Mike,

In your opinion, can an average ACT! user setup Syncronization or will they need help?

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group