Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

Copper Contributor

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

OK, Ive used Act since version 2.0 and am currently on Act 6.  It has served my needs well and I haven't had a need to upgrade till now.  I sync my database between home and work via e-mail but here at work, they have switched to a Exchange server.  I need to SMTP into my own e-mail host, and can't get through with Act's e-mail client.  I can get through with outlook but want the integration withat I'm used to with Act's client.

So I guess I've put this off long enough and I'll order the upgrade to 11.  Have there been any problems importing a 6 database into 11 that I should know about in advance?   I've used Act 2.08, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and some have been better than others at importing.  Heck some were just better period!  (I never could get Act 3 or 5 to print envelopes right).

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Aloha,

Colin

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: I think I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 11

11 is 7, what 6 was to 3... it's the best version of ACT! yet.

No, I haven't heard of any specific issues with importing ACT! 6.0 databases unless the 6.0 database was corrupt. Always a good idea to do a Compress/Reindex and run the Maintenance in ACTDIAG in ACT! 6.0 before the upgrade.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike.  Does 11 allow you to edit the port for the SMTP server?  This seems to be my biggest problem currently.

Nope... but you don't need to use ACT! Email client at all if you have Outlook... a much better way to operate
Copper Contributor

Wow, interesting.  On Act 6 I should be able to use Outlook as the client, but I cannot get messages to send.  If I type a message in act (using a template for example) When I hit 'send' the message goes to the outbox as outlook likes to do, but I cannot send the message without opening outlook and hitting send/receive from within the MS program.  Is this normal? 

With ACT! 6 the answer is yes.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ha Ha.  That's funny.  I guess in a perverted way it's nice to know that the program and my (setup of it) is not faulty.  By this reply, am I correct in assuming that the integration is better in 11? 

satoauto wrote:
Wow, interesting.  On Act 6 I should be able to use Outlook as the client, but I cannot get messages to send.  If I type a message in act (using a template for example) When I hit 'send' the message goes to the outbox as outlook likes to do, but I cannot send the message without opening outlook and hitting send/receive from within the MS program.  Is this normal? 

With the ACT! Email client, ACT! can only send the email to Outlook... then, it's up to Outlook to send it.

With ACT! 10/11, you don'r need to use the ACT! Email client... it works directly with Outlook

Copper Contributor

I've received my copy of Act 11 and am going through the "Act! 3.xx to 6.xx Conversion Checklist" and everything is done except for sychronizing my remote database into one prior to installationI'm at my work computer now, but I consider my home machine my 'main' machineIs this synchronize as simple as a "Send All" (this time only) sync to home

To set up sync for non-Premium version, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6jp32m

Depending on how you have your firewall set up, you might need to use Hamachi as per http://tinyurl.com/5spkvw