Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to move ACT! DB to new server? Clients will stay the same.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to move ACT! DB to new server? Clients will stay the same.

Highlighted

Well, that could be an option except that the customer wants something that is quiet, energy efficient, less problematic and more reliable - everything that an old Windows Server 2003 is not.
Highlighted

Thanks. There are less than 10 users but I prefer a server because of it's RAID capabilities. They don't make any desktop PCs with RAID. RAID is the difference between a hard drive failure ruining your week or just being a minor annoyance.
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Perhaps you should look at getting a HP Micro Server

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html?dnr=1

Add a Windows Server license and a second drive so you have RAID, you're still looking at a very small amount for what then basically amounts to an appliance.

Ben.

Highlighted

That is an excellent idea. But are you suggesting that I get a Windows Server 2003 license for a new HP server? Will that work?
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

It will.

Either a Microsoft Server 2003 Standard or Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Standard license.

I'd lean more toward the 2008 R2 personally.

Ben.

Highlighted

Please pardon this obviously noobie question: What are attached files? How do I know if these exist in the customer's ACT! DB and front end? Thanks!
Highlighted

The Dell Precision desktop machine that I'm using right now has a RAID array ... no reason you can't get one if you want

Or you could even create a virtual machine on the new server and run Windows 2003 (or even XP as less than 10 users) there.
Highlighted

Attached files are emails, word docs, excel spreadsheets or other files that you linked to the ACT! contact
Highlighted

Mike,

Thanks a bunch for your advice. 

I think we are going to get them a modern server and run VMware with Windows 2003 in a virtualized environment.  Seems like it is too risky to try Windows Server 2008 or later.

RE attached files:  I spoke to the client and, yes, they do have many attached files.  Is there a guide or resource you can point me to on how to handle the migration of the mappings to the attached files?

Thanks.