Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to move ACT! DB to new server? Clients will stay the same.

How to move ACT! DB to new server? Clients will stay the same.

Hello, I'm sort of a noob RE ACT! so please bear with me. One of our accounts (we are an IT support provider) is using ACT! 6.0.3.979 The DB lives on the server and the s/w runs on their PCs (varying flavors of XP/vista/7). The server, Windows 2003, is on its last legs and we plan on upgrading to Windows Server 2008 or SBS 2011. Is it possible to simply move the DB to this newer server? And, if so, can anyone please point me to the steps required to do so? Thanks so much for any help with this.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to move ACT! DB to new server? Clients will stay the same.

I'd upgrade to the current version of ACT! ... ACT! 6.0 had issues with Opportunistic Record Locking (as many apps did back then) and, while it would disable that on Win2003, it's not so easy on later operating systems.

LOL.  I would love to recommend this account upgrade to the latest version of ACT!

However, the reality of it is small businesses don't want to spend money unless they absolutely have to.

Are you saying that there is not a way to move the DB to Windows Server 2008/2011 without problems?

Thanks!

Moving the database is easy ... copy all the files in the database folder and point the workstations at the new one.

Is more tricky if you have attached files.

Keep good (regular) backups and run regular maintenance ... if it has Ops Locks issues, it will start to corrupt the database - and, worse, you might not notice the damage for some time. after which, you have to go back a long way to get a clean copy.

It might be worth getting AutoAdmin: http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/16/2
That will automate backups and maintenance nightly.

The opportunistic locking is a serious issue with the ACT! program. In many cases people would have to run database maintenance multiple times in one day, For worse damage the database would need to be sent in for repair. The worst damage caused  by opportunistic locking was loss of the database. This is a problem experienced by any database program based on codebase. ACT! 2005 and later resolved the problem by moving to SQL. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

OK, you guys are really scaring me now.  The last thing I want to do is sell my client a shiny new server and then lose all of his data when trying to move the DB.

Can I get a definitive answer about the liklihood of problems with moving this version of ACT!?

This is the stuff that work nighmares are made of.  Smiley Happy

If you disable Ops Locks and SMB, I think it should work ... but haven't fully tested it

If they have lots of attached files, you'll need to do some work there to point the links at the new locations, also.

Moving the database files (all 26 or them) to the new server wouldn't be the problem. However ACT! 6 did file and email attachments using links fo if the link path changes or the file isn't there the attaachment would be lost. On the other hand opportunistic locking can be a real nightmare because the codebase structure is make up of separate files but these files must be treated as a single structure. Opportunistic locking doesn't do that. A separate issue is that you can use an incremental backup program with the ACT! 6 database. The later ACT! SQL database has all the data in a single file connected to the SQL server. It does have some separate files such as layouts and templates that are separate from the main data file but they aren't critical to the data itself.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

You might consider replacing the existing "last legs" server with a new (refurb) 2003 Server and dedicate it to ACT!, and go with the 2008/2011 server for everything else.  If you setup pathing, drive shares and mapping to match the existing server, you'd make your life a lot easier.

Signature