Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

Copper Contributor

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7

ya know Mike, it is amazing how often and how easy it is for ACT6 data to become damaged such that it works fine under ACT6 but won't convert.

It either requires third party s/w to fix (which I have not tried) or extensive fiddling with the data files to fix.

If the 3rd party s/w can fix it then why isn't that built into the converter????????

One would think Sage could do a better job than someone else. - I guess like MS they like to make work for after market folks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 6.0 could appear to work when corrupt, as long as you don't touch eny of the areas that are damaged. Doing an export/conversion obviously needs to read it all

Sage never did any development for ACT! 6.0, whereas most of the ACT! consultants did... and there's only one 3rd-party software that is used for this repair.

Tuned Listener

Hey SuperNice, I'm glad you got your problem worked out. I probably wouldn't have been much of a help because it never occurred to me that compatibility mode had actually done me any good. I just habitually applied it to ACT in my quest to make everything work in the first place. Probably the standard way of achieving what you did would be to find the file "act.exe" in the directory you installed it to and right-click on it.

And to everyone else who has more spare time than spare money, thanks for looking into these issues and posting the solutions. Perhaps if you make $200 an hour (show of hands?) and have to spend a whole hour trying to make ACT 6 work, then maybe you haven't saved any money keeping your old version, but your contribution to this community means that everyone else doesn't have to spend that hour. Better still, nobody has to spend an entire working day training a bunch of luddites at their company to use a new version of the software they have been using for years. In my case, I was hired in part to avoid that scenario, and to spend that day installing PixelQi displays in their netbooks instead. There are way more important upgrades out there than ACT 2010.

Copper Contributor

just for the record - I keep ACT6 because I use it intermittently and it loads almost instantly. I don't even use the fcts it has except to attach docs and print reports. Just a DB of clients and repair records.

I can't wait for the new versions to load everytime I open it.

ruggb wrote:

ya know Mike, it is amazing how often and how easy it is for ACT6 data to become damaged such that it works fine under ACT6 but won't convert.

It either requires third party s/w to fix (which I have not tried) or extensive fiddling with the data files to fix.

If the 3rd party s/w can fix it then why isn't that built into the converter????????

One would think Sage could do a better job than someone else. - I guess like MS they like to make work for after market folks.

ACT! 6 didn't do any monitoring regarding the health of the database and unless you happened to hit a problem area, ACT! 6 continued to work. Most problems can be fairly easily corrected but they will cause problems with the conversion until corrected. 

The repair software will repair most damaged databases but the repair will cause some database modification. Running the repair software can take a long time to rebuild the database. It also can't fix everything. I personally know a person that does ACT! 6 database repairs and for some repair, they have to use a hex editor to make the repair.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

been there, done that.

I've been fixing and modifying ACT since version 0.xxx

Moved post and its replies to new topic on ACT! discussion board

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

I ttried going to setup instead of autorun, but still got that 64 bit incompatibility message.  I just got this new computer running windows 7 home premium.  It has an intel core I3 chip.  Does  anyone have any suggestions?  I have ACT 2000.

[ Edited ]

Hello rayzel,

While you may be able to install ACT! 2000 on a Windows 7 32-bit system, unfortunately you will not be able to install on a 64-bit system. 64-bit compatibility was not available in ACT! until the 2009 version.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Others in this forum have said they can do it.  However, if I purchase a new version of ACT, would I be able to import my contacts?