Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

Tuned Listener

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

[ Edited ]

ruggb: You are a hero. I wish I could, but they won't let me edit my first post to reflect what a hero you are. Thank you thank you thank you. If only I could edit that first post, I would edit it thus:

My hat is off to ruggb for providing the quintessential solution to this problem. It is now confirmed that both ACT 5 and ACT 6 are fully compatible with Windows 7 64-Bit. Do I feel remorse for all the time I spent writing the above guide to installing ACT in XP Mode? Yes! But I guess if I hadn't put all that time into it, I wouldn't have been following closely enough to notice ruggb's elegant solution.

The problem is not with ACT 5 or 6, but with the AUTORUN installation menu on the CD, which is apparently incompatible with 64-bit systems. Installing the program can be accomplished (as ruggb points out) by bypassing AUTORUN altogether and choosing to install, not from the root of the CD, but from the folder on the CD whose name corresponds with the version of ACT you are installing. For example, I installed ACT 2000 by executing the file "setup.exe" in the folder "Act2000" at the root of the install CD. Once you have done this, ACT installs flawlessly (you may see warnings that the install did not complete properly and should be run again in compatibility more -- ignore these messages).

Again, many many thanks to ruggb for pointing this solution out so that we can all get on with using our favorite versions of ACT in the really tragically amazing Windows 7 operating system. If anyone does find a reason to use my instructions, feel free to continue posting in this thread. But beware that I no longer endorse this method for typical users.

Message Edited by barsaati on 06-04-2010 09:35 PM
Message Edited by barsaati on 06-04-2010 09:36 PM
Message Edited by barsaati on 06-04-2010 09:39 PM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

thanks - I needed that.

There are a number of other programs that have the same issue. Running the actual program SETUP usually works.

Sometimes u have to run that program in compatibility mode with admin privledges, but it works without getting into virtual XP.

Message Edited by ruggb on 06-05-2010 04:56 AM
Copper Contributor

Have you tried installing Winfax 10.03 in Windows 7?
Copper Contributor

I used Winfax 10.3 a LONG time ago.

I have a client who used it more recently but I think he abandoned it with Vista. Not sure.

I don't know if it will run the way u can get ACT to run.

I did have trouble with it in XP since I believe it was a W98 vintage program and don't recall how I got it to work.

What I would do is to find the core install program, set it for 98 (or XP if it is XP vintage-I don't remember) compatibility, run as admin. and see if it works.

If not I am out of ideas.

Copper Contributor

I found a copy of Winfax 10.2.

The first issue is that it has no idea where to find UNIDRV.DLL

So it won't proceed from there. I suspect there are other files it can't find simply because of the change in windows structure.

I believe the issue is with SETUP.INS as that is where reference to UNIDRV.DLL is.

If u could figure out how to mod that file or possibly create Win98 folders and copy files it can't find to those folders so it could find them it might work.

That seems like more work than it is worth.

Copper Contributor

Ya, like I can't run ACT 5 or 6 on W7x64.

The problem with WinFAX is that it is looking for files where they appeared in 98 or XP.

I was trying it in W7

I wasn't trying to fix the issue just understand what the issue was.

I just giving my impression on what might be done if one really wanted to try to make it work.

Copper Contributor

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7

Hi,

I have been running ACT6.0 for many years. I still want to run 6 under Windows 7 x64 because the latest version of ACT has been de-featured in a couple of areas important to me.

I have installed ACT6.0 on my new Windows 7 machine OK....in all respects EXCEPT... When I attempt to write a letter I get the reports 'ACT cannot open Word Processor, permissions may be missing' and the report 'Word processor driver missing'.

I tried putting drvact32.dll and rcdrvact32.dll into the Office dll folder but that did not cure it. I have Office XP installed.

Is there a work around to these problems of ACT not finding my Word Processor.

Word runs fine on it own.

Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7

ACT! 6 won't recognize Word 2007 and later.

There was a fix way back to make it recognize Word 2003 but it wasn't generic enough to carry on past 2003.

I have never seen a fix for 2007 or 2010.-