Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

Tuned Listener

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7 64-bit

My ACT! 2000 CD has version 5.0.0.178 on it. You can download and install the ACT! 2000 Update from the link below to update it to ACT! 2000 version 5.0.0.4. http://download.cnet.com/Act-2000-Update/3000-2074_4-10044874.html I tried running the updated 5.0.0.4 version for a while but I always go back to version 5.0.0.178 that is on the CD. I've been running it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 with no problems.

Anyone have any experience with Act for Windows on Windows 10?

I have my version of ACT running on a machine that was originally purchased with Windows 7 on it, upgraded to Windows 8, and upgraded to Windows 10.  It runs fine, just need to right click "Run As Administrator" and no real problems.

I also have installed and have this version of ACT running on a Windows 10 HP  laptop  with 4 GB RAM that I purchased used and it seems to run OK although it and other programs periodically just close and go away - I credit this to insufficient memory but am uncertain.  Does work, however.

Because of the problems referenced above, it is my plan to take the HP laptop that is running Windows 10 and has been my primary home machine and giving it to my kids, replacing it with a brand new HP Pavillion laptop with Windows 10 and 12 GB RAM.  When I attempt to install ACT on it, I get a message that tells me that it is incompatible with this 64 bit operating system.  I've tried setting the properties on the SETUP to run as Windows XP SP2 mode as some suggested, still no joy.  Have even copied the executable files across to this machine and tried running same way - no joy there either.

Now, its not just that I'm too cheap to upgrade - actually it IS somewhat that, plus recently lost my primary source of income and am working diligently to replace that stream - but it is ALSO because I have just short of 12,000 contacts in there with extensive notes and history.  I don't use integrateion with Office or with Email, so that's not an issue - although it would be NICE to have it.  I'm open to any suggestions - including upgrade IF there is a way to get the notes and so forth across, although I doubt that since ACT! has changed ownership several times since I bought my copy.  Here's what I have - any ideas?    

ACT! For Windows
Build: 5.0.4.507
Portions copyright @ 2000-2002 Interact Commerce Corporation
Portions copyright @ 1993-2000 Symantec Corporation under exclusive license to Interace Commerce Corporation

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

the thing that is incompatible is the setup program in the root folder.

You need to run the setup program in the ACT6 folder.

set it with XP compatibility and run as admin, then run it.

works fine for me

for act ver 5 I can't speak for it, but I am guessing it is the same.

THANK YOU!!!!

You are a SAINT!

It absolutely worked.

Went to the folder ACT on the ACT! install CD copied to the harddrive on my machine.

Right clicked on SETUP there and changed the properties to Windows XP SP2 compatability, and Run as Administrator

Applied and Saved

Ran as Administrator

Worked perfectly

Installed software works perfectly as well.

Database Maintenance, Compress Database (essential on this old version, else it crashes!) worked perfectly.

Since I lack the time, patience, and temperment for an upgrade or a conversion to a different CRM right now, this is PERFECT.

THANK YOU!

Copper Contributor

your welcome, glad it worked for you, and thanks for the comeback.

Hi there,

My ACT! 6 runs just fine on my WIN 10 laptop, but will not run on my WIN 7 Ult SPI!! I immediately get an act.exe System Error saying "The program can't start because vboxs430.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I have reinstalled soooo many times, but to no avail.

I appear to have 3 copies of vboxs430.dll on my computer but none in C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT where it's installed. So I copied one there and got Windows message "ACT 6 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working...."

Where exactly is ACT looking for vboxs430.dll? Would copying it there make the difference?

You mention some "updates". Is that just for XP mode?

I NEED my ACT!6 dammit!!

TIA

Frank

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you installing from a disc?

If so try this, uninstall Act! 6

Copy all files and folders on disc to a folder on desktop

Install Act! 6 from desktop folder.

Also you need to set UAC to never notify

Oh, I should mention that changing compatibility to Win XP SP2 doesn't help either!!

Aaargh!!

Copper Contributor

Also you need to set UAC to never notify

So, do I need to install my ACT!6 as if I'm on Win XP SP2?