Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help!! Can't access main Contact Window!!!

Help!! Can't access main Contact Window!!!

I am  a "Newbie" here today and hope someone can help me.

I have been using ACT! for 12-15 years in my business. I have been using  ACT!2000 Version 6.0 and it always worked like a charm. Suddenly one day when I opened the program it was opening in a secondary window.

I can open all the screens across the bottom (history, activites, groups,secondary contacts, etc). I also can use the scheduling tabs, "write a letter" tab, etc  ----  but I can not get it to go to the primary Contact Window !!!  Without that window the program is useless and I am basically locked out of my entire life's database!!

I have pushed every imaginable button on the screen, but I am totally stumped. Am I losing my mind or is there a simple explanation for the problem?

I bought the ACT!2007 from Sage upgrade, but don't even want to think about installing it until I figure out how to get back to the primary contact screen. I am changing careers and want to delete a bunch of my old contacts or open up a new database for the new career before upgrading.

If anyone can help me out I would be so grateful !!! Thanks, PatchD
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Help!! Can't access main Contact Window!!!

Hi Patch,
ACT 6 was windowed - somewhere hiding behind one of the other screens minimised will be your contact detail screen - its not lost, just hidden behind something else.  Unfortunately problems like this are very diffult to explain without being infornt of the machine but all I can do is assure you the screen is there somewhere.  As a last ditch you can try removing your preferences, this may restore the window state, I honestly can't remember in ACT! 6.  Have a dig about first though, its definately there somewhere.

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help!! Can't access main Contact Window!!!

If you still haven't solved this, or for other users who might have this problem, here's the easy fix:

The usual proble is double-clicking on the horizontal divider bar which jumps it to the top of the screen if you want to see more of the Notes, History tabs, etc. You can usually see the bar at the top and double-click on it to restore or just drag it down.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Exit ACT!
Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog appears.
Start ACTDIAG: The ACT! Data Diagnostic Tool.
In the Open field; type actdiag, and then click OK.

Click the Reset menu, and then click Options and Window Positions
Enable both the Main Window and Group Window checkboxes, and then click Reset.
Click OK to confirm, click Close, and then exit the ACT! Data Diagnostic Tool.