Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HD Crash..re-install ACT 6.0

HD Crash..re-install ACT 6.0

My HD crashed.  On new HD, I reinstalled ACT 6.0 from cd and "restored" my database from a previous day backup.  ACT opens and database is running properly.  However, when I try to synch with my TREO 680, both CompanionLink and ACT! for Palm OS programs, cannot find or open the database.  How do I correct this issue?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: HD Crash..re-install ACT 6.0

My guess is that you are using Norton antivirus or system works. if so the fix is to uninstall both ACT! 6 and Norton, restart the computer and then reinstall ACT! first and open ACT! 6 at least once and then reinstall Norton. Norton now blocks registry keys critical to the full installation of ACT! 6. If ACT! 6 is install first, everything should work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor

Roy is on the right track. We have found that ACT! 2005 and newer versions do not have this issue with Norton.

However, we have found that newer versions of Norton break the API for ACT versions 3 to 6. The solution that we’ve found to work is:

1. Backup ACT

2. Uninstall ACT

3. Uninstall Norton

4. Reinstall ACT

5. DO NOT reinstall Norton, reinstall any other vendor’s antivirus software, just not a Symantec product

Platinum Elite Contributor

tiffanygamier wrote:

Roy is on the right track. We have found that ACT! 2005 and newer versions do not have this issue with Norton.

However, we have found that newer versions of Norton break the API for ACT versions 3 to 6. The solution that we’ve found to work is:

1. Backup ACT

2. Uninstall ACT

3. Uninstall Norton

4. Reinstall ACT

5. DO NOT reinstall Norton, reinstall any other vendor’s antivirus software, just not a Symantec product

Reinstalling NAV after ACT! should be ok... although I prefer their corporate Symantec Anti Virus - much less resource drain and no-conflicts