Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting records out of ACT into a data file like Excel or CSV Question ...

Tuned Listener

Exporting records out of ACT into a data file like Excel or CSV Question ...

I have exported my ACT database's contact records (name, address, etc -- but no notes/history yet) into a .txt file and now saving  that txt file into a csv file in Excel.  Lets call the ACT database used for this "A". When I do the save,  a popop comes up in Excel that asks:

"[Your Document] may contain features that are not compatible with Text (Tab delimited).  Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?

-- To keep thid format, which leaves out any incompatible features, click Yes.

--  To preserve the features, click No.  Then save a copy in latest Excel format. "

Do I click YES or NO here -- ultimately what I need is to import the data just exported out of ACT A into a new data file, and then that data file used to create a new ACT database B ... please advise ... thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting records out of ACT into a data file like Excel or CSV Question ...

You are you trying to export the data to CSV? Why not export directly to the new database?
Tuned Listener

Re: Exporting records out of ACT into a data file like Excel or CSV Question ...

HI Mike:

Because the new database needs to have a new record creator.  I believe a straight ACT to ACT process will retain the old creator  name.

So how do you save the file when the question is asked?

Also, lets say I have a .txt or cvs file in Excel which includes the first ACT database's notes and date/timestamps..  Is there any way to import this data -- the original date & timestamps -- into a new ACT database?  I tried a test, and ACT gave a new create date and timestamp, it did not retain the original timestamps out of the Excel file.

Unfortunately, you can't import to Notes/history in that way without using the SDK... usually it's best to get an add-on written to do this.

For some options, see:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/connecting-to-act-by-sage-data.html
Tuned Listener

Hi Mike:

Can ACTPAK import records into a new ACT database or does ACTPAK just export records out of ACT databases?

Also, is there a program that exists that can take existing notes, date & timestamps from a txt delimited file or csv file, and migrate these elements into a new ACT database, while retaining the original timestamps? 

I forgot when posting that link that you were referring to ACT! 6.0.

No, you'd use Oak!Merge! (same developer as ACTPAK). See:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/19/2
Tuned Listener

Sorry Mike, pls clarify:

ACTPACK is for exporting records out of ACT 6.0 (but no import utility?)

OakMerge  is for importing records (from what type of file ... txt tab delimited?) into an empty ACT 6.0 database, and the program is able to retain the old date and timestamps in the notes section of the new database?

Thank you ....

ACT!PAK! is a "pack" of utilities, but no import.

Oak!Merge! can import from CSV, TXT Tab delimited

Pretty sure you can download a trial to test it
Tuned Listener

Mike one more for the road:

Before doing a download, do you know if OakMerge will import  and retain the original date/time stamps.  I could not find this piece of info on their site.

Thanks alot!

I believe so... but it's been a few years since I've used it. Used to used it several times a week, but not a lot of call for importing into ACT! 6.0 as their was :-)