Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting contacts with email addresses from to Excel format

Exporting contacts with email addresses from to Excel format

I put this question at the end of a response to someone's email, and then thought I'd better give it it's own heading

Does anyone know how to export a list of contacts with their email addresses?  I want to start sending a newsletter using iContact, and they'll need me to send them a list.

Linda Yazell

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting contacts with email addresses from to Excel format

Do the export as a tab delimited file and then open the file in Excel. It's Files | Data Exchange | Export
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the response Ray.  I know how to export data from Act6 into Excel.  But when I go to map the data I want to export out, there is no email address.  I know Act!11 doesn't have that problem.  And Act!11 was able to take those addresses with I upgraded.  But I can't use Act11, it destroyed my laptop, and I'm terrifed of it.

I can't understand why Act6 was designed to have a field for an email address, but no way to get it out.   If you are aware of something I'm not, I'd appreciate your guidance.

Linda

My bad!  I just went and did an export the way you said and the resulting excel file includes the email address, even though it wasn't in the map.  Interestingly, the first record didn't have an email address, and when I went to look at that record in Act!, the email address was "live", in otherwords it was showing up in blue.  So that may prevent one from coming through.

Sorry I doubted you.

Linda

Actually it is in the default map, it's called email login. Here's some information you might be interested in. The E-mail "field" that you see in the layout is not a field in the main database table but rather a portal to the separate E-mail table. That is why E-mail is not available as a data type and why you can't sort by e-mail address or use E-mail in the duplicate checking. The E-mail table can hold more than one E-mail address for a user but only the default address can be used for addressing an e-mail message.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Another piece of trivia... the reason for Email Login and System fields date back to support for the CompuServe mail system.

Ah, the good old days. 

Linda

We are still using Act!6.0, and when exporting contacts my only options are text delimited or ACT dbf.  And I cannot map fields.  Any help?

Trying to get a list of all email addresses for customers within the USA only. 

Platinum Super Contributor

I had the same issue.  The e-mail addresses never showed up in the mapping when I wanted to export them.  However, I noticed that when I did export all of my ACT! 6 contact data to a  tab-delimited file, the e-mail address showed up anyways in the body of the text, but the title "E-Mail Address was not at the top with the other fields like Phone Numbrt, Home Address, etc.. 

I just added an "E-Mail Address" title manually to match up to where the email address data was appearing in the delimited file.  My new titles appear as:

Create Date [TAB] Edit Date [TAB]  Merge Date [TAB ]E-Mail [TAB] E-mail Login [TAB] E-mail System

Then E-Mail Addresses are able to be imported into Excel, or in my case Act Pro 2012 import mapping.