Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Editing Act! Contact Fields created by someone else

Editing Act! Contact Fields created by someone else

How does one edit, add, delete contact fields in Act! 6?  I have inherited responsibility for ACT! and these fields, but some of them are proving not to be useful and need to be changed or deleted. I was not the person who created the contact fields and the person who did has left the company. As a result I have no idea how to make any modifications. Can someone provide some guidance?
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Editing Act! Contact Fields created by someone else

This is actually a pretty complicated question. In ACT 6, you can modify the fields by clicking the menu item: Edit, Define Fields. It is not considered good practice in this version of ACT to delete any fields. (Though, you can reuse them, giving them a new name if you like.) In working with database design, there are 2 parts. First define the fields and then modify the layout. If you don't want to display specific fields, then delete them from the layout (Tools, Design layout) instead of actually deleting the fields.  Good Luck
Susan Clark
ACT! Certified Consultant
Cornerstone Solutions, Inc.

I may be using the wrong terminology, however, I do need to modify fields the previous person set up in the layout, other than the customary fields like name, address, company, telephone number, etc.  In this "layout" we are attempting to track software licenses issued to our contacts and the current layout we fine is too limited and has a number of filelds that are no longer useful and need to be deleted, thus my question concerning "how to."

Don Dillaby
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you an Administrator of the database?

You need to be in order to customise the field definitions